In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 7600 in .45-70

00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
For those who have been following my posts on this topic, I have submitted the following to:

Starline Brass (http://www.starlinebrass.com/) and
Remington (http://remington.custhelp.com/)

"I am in quest of a knowledgeable and experienced cartridge wildcatter and I write you in hopes of a good lead.

My mission: As I prefer the pump action of a Remington 7600 rifle as opposed to the lever actions of Winchester, Marlin or Savage and my caliber of choice is the .45-70 cartridge, I need the advice of a cartridge wildcatter.

Is it possible to mill the rim of a .45-70 case (.608") to the rim dimensions of a .30-06/.35 Whelen case (.473") without jeapordizing the structural integrity of the brass case? This milled case would now have a rebated rim, would there be any material left for milling a groove for extraction?

If the above is possible, then working on cartridge extraction and a rifled barrel chambered in .45-70 for a Remington 7600 may be no big deal, but I'll be finding out if the case milling is a go.

Any hint of a lead is much appreciated."

I'll keep you posted on any responses I receive......and I'm thinking positive!!!

Ron

You can never have too many guns!!!

Comments

• Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought, have you looked into using the .284 case? it has a rebated case head and a large case, 7600 bolt head would work I'm not sure if it is what you are trying to accomplish, but I believe the case could be drawn to .45-70 length, and blown out to accept .45 caliber bullets
  • 00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jody Commander,

I have been looking into the .284 case. At this point it may be the best and only way to go. There's no problem with case length with the .284 at 2.170" compared to the .45-70's case length of 2.105". Case diameters are also very close.

The bottom line that I'm trying to accomplish is this:

I work in wildlife management and often with troublesome bears. I'm looking to place the maximum amount of lead into an animal should things go wrong at very close range (60 feet and closing fast), and I may need a very fast follow-up shot, so recoil is also an issue. 12 guage slugs have worked, so far, but I think a .45-70 would be a better insurance policy.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll keep you posted.
    Ron

You can never have too many guns!!!
  • easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting subject. I am going to follow this one.

By the way I found your screen name to be somewhat 'odd' until I read your post regarding the line of work you are in. "Double ought" and 'scootin' is very appropriate.

SEMPER FI
  • 32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Continue with your quest: as was mentioned it sounds very interesting. However, strongly suggest you stick with a pump or DB 12 ga loaded with slugs if your life depends on it. At short range you are going to get a dead bear NOW. I like autos myself, but they do have their faults.
    edited November -1
    OH, a 7600... a pump. Well, I'd still go with the 12 ga.
    edited November -1
    Of course, the 7600 is a pump. I have one.A great rifle. But, I'd still go with a 12 gage for a close in bear. That's what I do every Fall.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This project's growing whiskers. When are you gonna start cutting metal? Don't get hung up on the brass. Either the rebated 45-70 or the .284 brass will work. Make some dummy rounds and get crackin !!
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A conversion of a Remington M7600 to .45-70 means to me that the rifle will fire unaltered .45-70 cartridges. If the finished rifle will not fire factory .45-70 ammunition, you do not have a .45-70 M7600 rifle. What you are looking for is a M7600 in .45 caliber, not a M7600 in .45-70 Government.

If you want to know if a .45-70 case can safely be turned to .30-06 case head configuration, do not write people who will not know. Instead, just do it and section the case. You will then have a clear understanding of the thicknesses involved. Compare them to an unaltered, sectioned case and make a reasoned judgment.

If you are going to turn cases, why not just start with a M7600 in .30-06 and blow out the case to .45 caliber? It is silly to turn .45-70 brass to a rimless configuration that will match the original .30-06 case head dimensions, when .30-06 brass already has the head configuration you need. "Just" rebore and rechamber the rifle to .45 caliber, and you have it.

I suspect you may need to anneal the brass in order to stretch the mouth to .45 caliber without splitting cases, but I stretch a .30-06 case to about .45 caliber before necking it back down to .35 caliber when making cases for my .35 Brown-Whelen cartridges, and rarely lose one. You might be able to stretch unannealed new brass to .45 caliber without spliting cases. The process is completed by fire-forming. Before rejecting this idea, remember that the original .45 Super/Detonics .451 Magnum cases were made from .30-06 brass. I fail to understand why you want to turn .45-70 brass to .30-06 head configuration when the .30-06 case is readily convertable to .45 caliber, yielding the same or a more potent result. (The .30-06 case is longer than a .45-70, so will hold more powder.)

Have you thought about how you will head-space a straight-wall, rimless cartridge?

I agree with v35, quit talking about a .45-70 M7600 when that is not really what you have once you leave unaltered factory brass, and concentrate on the bigger problem of reboring or rebarreling a M7600. I think a .45 caliber barrel for a M7600 is a REALLY BIG DEAL, and if you do not think it is, you do not understand the problem. Good luck in finidng someone who can/will provide a .45 caliber barrel for a M7600, either by reboreing or rebarreling.

I say that because, when I was building my Remington M742 .35 Brown-Whelen in the 1970s, Robert Snapp of Claire, Michigan was the only one who had a boreing machine with a headstock hole big enough to accept the barrel lug. A M7600 has the same style of barrel lug. How will you deal with the barrel lug? This is your biggest problem, not the brass. I doubt Robert is still in business, but you might check. How do you plan to deal with the barrel lug?

Far more potent bear medicine than a .45-70 would be a wildcat based on the belted magnum case blown out to .45 caliber. You can start with a Brwoning BAR in .300 Winchester and "just" rebore it to .45 caliber. You could then be at or above .458 Winchester power level. Now THAT would be a bear stopper.

A stock .338 Winchester BAR or a 12-guage would seem sufficient without all the bother.

Edited by - JudgeColt on 06/02/2002 03:23:59

Edited by - JudgeColt on 06/02/2002 03:24:57