In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Electronic ignition system...fad or future?

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
Is the Remington 700 EtronX the "ignition system of the future" or just another gyro-jet that may be a collectors oddity? Could it be another product created where there was no need or market? I wouldn't mind getting one if they bomb like the Edsel just to hang onto it for 20 years and watch the prices rise....I know there have been concerns on reliability, but is this the same technology that the military has used with 20mm?....

Comments

• Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My vote is a fad.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll second that!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Electronic firing has been around for a while, I was fortunate enough when the Electic fired 20 mm, was introduced in the army, to have been on one of the test teams, As with rapid fire guns, Timing is a very important factor, IE the 50 cal. needed to be timed all the time, the electronic fire virtualy eliminated that problem.

Tanks have had electronic fire for some time now. The M1 tank is computer fired now, and very accurate.

LR
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might be interested to know that the Austrian company, Voere, has made an electricaly fired rifle for some time. They, like the Gyro Jet use a caseless round.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The Germans used some electrically fired machine gun ammo in WW2.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For sporting rifles, for the near and middle future it is faddish, but likely some tech oriented shooters with plenty of money will bite.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't see the advantage for this in a hunting rifle, sounds more like something better applied to benchrest or target shooting....
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does have a pretty good trigger. Just make sure you have back up batteries!!

Rugster
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt,
    How could you? Forget, I mean. I was slamming this as a fad a while ago. I believe its applications are better served in anything other than a sporting rifle.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    pavil58pavil58 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From 'Keep your powder dry' to 'Keep your batteries charged'. Ain't technology great!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Robsguns,
    I must have missed some of those discussions....I'm kind of a technology freak, these things always intrigue me...
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While electric priming is a critical necessity in high speed automatic cannon it will also facilitate light,safe trigger pulls which is an underemphasized necessary, factor in accurate shooting.
    Secondarily, it will open up a world of opportunity to develop safe gun devices. Key code pads and credit card type readers are a few.