In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stoner

grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
I was in the service from 76 to 82, I have shot all kinds of weapons. I've been reading some books on fighting in Vietnam, and I've seen alot of reference to a "Stoner", what is it, and what do they look like. I'm thinking that it's like a belt-fed M-16.

Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com

Comments

• Options
    00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Griz,

I served in the Marines from '72-'78. I saw a few Stoners at the range while at Quantico, but I never had the opportunity to fire this rifle.

My feeble memory comes up with an M16 type rifle that could be fed by clip magazine, box magazine AND belt fed!!! But after all these years, memory can play tricks on a Geezer, such as myself, who is prone to senility attacks.

Here's a link from a search engine that may help:
    http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=stoner+rifle&hc=0&hs=1

I hope this provides some answers and let me know if you come up with anything interesting.

Ron

You can never have too many guns!!!
  • Options
    rogerreloaderrogerreloader Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stoner is the name of the man who designed and originally built the first m16s.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Eugene Stoner did design the M16/AR15 amoung others, but the Stoner rifles most generally seen are the SR25 and SR15 made by Knights Armament. They shouldn't be confused with the M96 Expeditionary Rifle, which can be fed via magazines (top or bottom) or belt with soom modification.

The SR15 and SR25 are highly acclaimed for accuracy, and the reputation is well deserved. While some people knock them for being finicky about the ammo they will digest (and possible jams) if fed the ammo they are designed for and properly maintained they are great weapons. Stoners are pretty expensive by most people's standards. But those that buy them are primarily interested in the sniper class accuracy they provide.

I believe if you do a search for Stoner SR25 or Knights Armament you will find their websight pertty easily. I'd look for it myself, but my regular computer is down right now and I'm working off a laptop without the benefit of my usual cable modem, so things are a bit slow around here.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys!

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reference to "The Stoner" was probably to the Stoner 63, which could be fed from top or bottom via mag or belt fed (the M96 Expeditionary Rifle is a clone) ... I can't site anything specific but I understand the "63" saw limited use in Vietnam.

While its modular design would allow it many configurations, if I remember correctly, the military never officially adopted it because it could be too complicated. Several years ago I read a fairly in-depth article of its design, history and proposed military applications.

=================================
    The only bad thing about choosing a Kimber ...
    ... there are so darn many models to choose from!
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    00scoots: You are sort of correct about the stoner in that it could be belt fed, mag fed and box fed because there were several different models. It was designed by Eugene Stoner and did see alot of action in vietnam but was mostly used by seal teams. The major problem with the stoner was fixed early on. Some of the first stoners had a problem with firing out of control. They would continue firing on their own after the trigger was released. The stoners were however very sought after because of there massive firepower ability. I believe the box fed versions were the the best of the lot and held 100 rounds of ammo. The stoners used in vietnam resemble the m96 expeditionary rifles.

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The Unit that used the Stonner 63 were the SEAL Teams. Some MAC V and Forced Recon units used them but not to the extent the SEALS did. The M96 is the Politicaly Correct Version of the Stonner 63.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    seals used the ones I read about in the late 60s.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe I was reading that the box magazines the seals used packed 400 rounds. One or two guys of a six man team with that bad boy would really fire up a vc camp.

"Not as deep as a well, or as wide as a church door, but it is enough."