In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Egyptian Hakim

agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance to buy one in mint condition. Anybody have any first hand experience with them?

AlleninAlaska aglore@gci.net

Free men are not equal and equal men are not free

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As you are no doubt aware they are a close cousin to the Swedish Ljungman, made in Egypt on Swedish tooling and in 8mm rather than 6.5mm. They are well made, reliable, and accurate; but not as handy or easy to disassemble as an M1. Personally, I would buy if as an investment and collectable even if I didn't intend to shoot it; but I believe you would enjoy shooting it as well.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I want one myself and a Ljungman as well. One bit of advice- don't shoot the cheap Turk surplus as it is too hot for the semi auto action in the long run. Also, I would advise against corrosive primers unless you want to rip it apart every time.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please be absoutely sure to wear shooting glasses when shooting the Hakim as the gas impingement system found on this weapon dumps a lot of gas into the action as the action opens. As a result much of this gas is blown back toward the shooter. Best of luck
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i bought one of these a while back & i have to say its been a long time since ive had that much fun shooting a new(to me) gun.
    awesome noise & muzzle blast from the muzzle brake.
    i built a 25 rd. mag for mine. the only drawback is the wood starts smoking after 50-60 rds rapid fire. lotsa fun.
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently acquired some of the 8mm Hakims and their smaller cousins the Rashids in 7.62x39. They are definitely impressive rifles. The Hakims have their own built in muzzle brakes. Their action and workings take a little getting used to, but they seem very well made.

As previously mentioned the Hakims are taken from the Lungman design, but being in 8mm instead of 6.5x55, they are a lot cheaper to shoot. The ones I have available are in original condition and have been properly stored since the late 1980's. Some of the last ones I saw available before these were looking a little rough. These are an honest very good condition, some would say excellent.

Given the current availability of cheap 8mm ammo, any quality 8mm semi auto should be an excellent way to spend the afternoon at the range. Years ago when 8mm ammo was reasonably priced these were a nice gun to have. Today with the ridiculously cheap 8mm ammo out there, I would think that everyone who wants to make some noise should have one. Right now I think you can get 8mm ammo cheaper than 7.62x39, if you buy in bulk. 8mm makes a lot more noise and has a lot range.

I have a few of these rifles available.

LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM
  • Options
    l-girll-girl Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gas port can be adjusted if you can fabricate a triangular headed tool out of a nut driver. I have seen some advertised for sale on this site.

The loading and cocking procedure is a little strange, but no worse than a garand in learning to do it properly. I believe the American Rifleman had a detailed article on the Hakim several years ago and Surplus Firearms has also covered it.

If you reload, I recommend you put tape or surgical tubing on the cocking piece or your brass may get dented from the violent ejection. Also, the extractor tends to chew the rims of the cases and may need a little polishing.

I paid $99 for mine from Century International about 10 years ago. I stripped it down when I got it and pulled out a lot of sand from inside the stock. Yours may not have the same issue if looks new.

All in all a fun and fairly accurate rifle.

Best regards,Rich
  • Options
    mmakeinmmakein Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anyone give a little more information on the Rashid? How do they shoot? I have my eye on one that is available at a local retailer. It looks similar to an SKS.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info.

AlleninAlaska aglore@gci.net

Free men are not equal and equal men are not free
  • Options
    l-girll-girl Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a Rashid and only fired it once after I found out that, reporetedly, only 5,000 were made.

It is very much like an SKS in appearance and my recollection was it shot like one. Mild recoil, but not particularly accurate. Only a 10 round mag and I've never heard of anybody making hi-cap mags for it.

The Rahid may be more of a collectible than a shooter. If you want a shooter, find a nice SKS, there are a zillion on the market with great bores.

Best regards,Rich
  • Options
    dr.dirtdr.dirt Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the hakim is a large, heavy rifle, so the recoil is mild for a 8 mm. yes, you need shooters glasses and earplugs for sure. you can feel the gas blowback hit your forhead on every shot. the cheep surplus ammo is very hot. i've had the primers blow out on a regular basis. it is a good gun, if you can get it at a good price.