In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

??? 300 WSM ???

4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
Anybody know anything about the new 300 WSM? Im thinking of purchasing one but am hesitant to take the plunge when I could get the well renouned 300 WIN MAG. I would like some particulars about balistics and cost of ammunition to compare the two.

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....

Comments

• Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The biggest benifit is the fact that it is a short action. This is a matter of opinion. Under some conditions the 300wsm will out do the 300 win mag, "at least thats what I have been hearing" Other than that the other thing Im hearing is that it is far more efficient because of the case size. I have yet to purchase one, but im planning on it before fall. I do have the brass etc. to reload for it and im looking forward to testing one out.

There is also talk of 270 & 7mm WSM's made for short actions also

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a growing trend, going from long cases to short fat ones. Look at the 6mm PPC, or the .50 fat mac, or the 6mm Therm. Shorter fatter cases. You have the advantage of being able to fit them in shorter actions, but I've also read something about how it allows the powder to ignite more effeciently.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Longer powder columns on your standard cases, such as 270, 30-06, the belted magnums and such, require a longer burn time to efficiently make use of the charge. Picture this,.....the primer is at the bottom of the charge, it must burn from bottom to top. Therefore, if it is only X thousandths wide, it has to burn for Y amount of time to burn all powder. Now if the case is 1.25X wide, then Y time is reduced due to the wider charge being ignited and burned faster. It not only burns forward, but the width of the case allows the total burn time to be reduced. This helps to ensure the full use of powder while the bullet is still in the rifling, which makes a more efficient round due to consistent gas pressures.

As far as one better than the other, I can't say. The balistics tests I have read, put them neck and neck. However, if I were going to rebarrel a rifle for a 300mag, it would probably be the short mag. I like the accuracy of the short/fat cartridges. I beleive the short and fat cases are the future of the rifles in the magnum designations. It will grow slowly but consistently over the next 10yrs. JMHO.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has become popular very fast as has so many that are no longer with us. It has alot of advantages over the 300 win mag. And some say vice versa. It is a good shooting round, has a short action, flatter trajectory. And with plenty of brass on hand it seems cheaper to reload. I will keep my 300win mag. And I believe the 300 win short mag is here to stay. But lets not forget the Rem 300ultra mag it is becoming very popular. And we shall see but I believe between the 300 rem ultra mag, or the 300wsm,one will make the other obsolete.

Good Luck.

Rugster
  • Options
    bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 300wsm is a great round. they are ballistically a tad better than the win mag. they are a short action so theoretically they will be more accurate. ammo costs about 22 bucks a box for the 180grn. i hunted with one last year and love it. killed 1 deer with 1 shot at around 250 yds. bullet went in at base of neck and stopped at the hips. just make sure to buy the winchester. the brownings are junk. just sold mine to a poor sucker to buy the model 70 winchester. the wsm will kill anything on this continent with no problem.