In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rifle barrel condition

dchristiandchristian Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
Sometimes when I see a used rifle at a gun show or gun shop I can check the condition of everything but the rifling and interior of the barrel. Is there a way to do this quickly and quietly?
Thanks,
dchristian

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Um... try looking through the bore. Simple yet it works! I always have a bore light on hand for this.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Talk to a gun smith and he will tell you what to look for and all so show you. Do not go to walleworld for this info.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that this can be a problem, especially at gun shows where the tendency is to secure the actions closed with plastic ties. I believe, though, that if a seller is convinced that you are sincerely interested in the firearm they will remove the tie and let you examine the bore. Jonk is correct concerning the advisability of carrying a bore light. When examining used guns in a gun shop a basic knowledge of how to open the various rifle/shotgun actions helps, and with the assistance of a bore light one can examine quite a few bores in a short period of time. When possible, as in the case of a bolt action (bolt removed), I feel that it is better to look through the bore from both the breech and muzzle ends with the opposite end pointed at a light bulb or a window. What are you looking for? Throat erosion at the front of the chamber (can be difficult to spot if inexperienced), irregularities in the chamber itself such as pitting, rust, or gouges and scrapes from over zealous cleaning, worn rifling lands, pitted or rusty grooves, rings from being fired with an obstruction in the bore, nicks around the muzzle where the rifling meets the crown. Some rifling patterns, notably older British, was made rounded; so if the bore is otherwise bright don't let that fool you. I once ordered two British SMLE No.I Mk.III rifles that appeared to have exellent bores when viewed from the breech. Neither would stay anywhere on the target at 100 yds. When cleaning them I viewed them from the muzzle end and found that the rifling of the last 8 inches of both bores was practically erased, apparently from firing rod-type rifle grenades. This was not visible when viewed from the breech, and points out the advisiaility of viewing bores from both ends.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even when using a borelight or boresight, you may want to run a patch through the bore. If there is a layer of oil in the barrel, it can hide a multitude of problems.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry my surefire with me. Most dealers at the shows are pretty cool about clipping the zip tie so you can peek down the bore. Heck some of them will probably even let you use their bore light if you ask them.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !