In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HELP ON SCOPE MOUNT! Win. Mdl 94 (older gun) 30-30

hoopdude3hoopdude3 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
hey..thanks for looking...i need some serious help..i have a winchester model 94 30-30 cal. gun which is around 25 years old.(thats my guess).its a old gun...but shoots well and my grandpa gave it to me...he has a scope mounted on it that is what i think a custom mounted scope...its mounted off to the left side...because the shell ejection of my gun comes out of the top...but the problem is that im left handed...so i cant shoot my gun becuz it is scoped for a righty..is there anyway that i can mount it further up on the forearm of the gun...(like on the barrel) instead of having it over the action..is it possible..also if it is up so far i will need a long eye relief on the scope..could i possibly mount a handgun scope on my gun....what are some good scopes that i might be able to do this...ill pay at the most of 200 bucks for the scope..
IF ANYBODY HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM AND FIXED IT...PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO

thanks

Comments

• Options
    LSandBincLSandBinc Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remove the rear sight put in a drilled and tapped dove tail blank, then drill and tap the rear barrel band. I used a Weaver scope mount blank machined to fit over the barrel, band and flat of the dove tail blank. This set-up makes for a scout type scope mount. This rifle was fitted with a dot scope. I don't know how well it all worked out, group wise, I have never heard back from the customer. I guess no news is good news. Hope this info helps, Alan

P.S. This also saves the value, if any, your gun might have.

Edited by - LSandBinc on 05/31/2002 07:27:21
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a gunsmith drill & tap the barrel in front of the receiver in order to mount a Leupold 2X extended eye relief scope on my Winchester 94. That worked very well.

Neal
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have a 94 with a Weaver Quick point mounted on the barrel, works great. especiall in lower light conditions.

LR
  • Options
    rrfhunterrrfhunter Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want a shotgun scope. They have an an extended relief to accomplish exactly what you're describing. A simmons scope is about $89 retail. They are also scaled down a little compared to a rifle scope so the proportions will be more appropriate to the slender model 94. A handgun scope won't work out. The mount you describe is a regular weaver mount. I shoot left handed and it never bothered me personally on my 94's.

....I never met a gun I didn't like!
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with rrfhunter ... I've shot my Winchester Model 94 with the same scope mount you mention. I'm a lefty and it works just fine.

Bonne Chasse!

Ken
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't recommend putting a $200 scope and $100 in gunsmith charges on a '94 30-30. You would still have a mediocre 100 yd. deer rifle, same as with open sights. Maybe your grandpa had trouble focusing on both sights and target, like what happens to most of us. I would use it with open sights and put my $$ in a scoped .243 or 7-08 and be able to kill deer AND groundhogs at 250 yds.
    Another suggestion: practice shooting right handed. Someday you'll be sitting by a tree and hear an animal to your left. Much easier to take a right-handed shot than swing your whole body around for a lefty and * the animal.
    It works for me,- I'm right-handed and I'll shoot the other way in a pinch.