In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

converting Firestar 40 S&W to 9mm

Hylander50Hylander50 Member Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
This is probably one of those "stupid questions". However, is it possible to convert a Firestar in 40 S&W to 9mm by changing out the barrel, slide and magazine? Are the 9 mm parts compatible with the 40 S&W frame? Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

For those wondering why one would want to do this, the LOML does not like shooting it as a 40 S&W. However, she thinks she would like it just fine as a 9 mm, as she does enjoy shooting the other 9 mm I have. So, I am trying to keep from buying another complete gun if I can swap parts on the one I have.

Comments

• Options
    IdahjoIdahjo Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to just trade someone and give them a couple dollars? Better yet, I'd bet someone would trade you a 9mm for your .40S&W and give you a couple dollars[;)]
  • Options
    Hylander50Hylander50 Member Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It probably would be cheaper. However, I do not want to give up "my" 40 S&W. I just want to make it so that my wife can shoot it when she would like to.

I got one reply stating that it should work if the slide lines up on the frame. I guess I may just end up buying the spare parts and trying it. Unless someone offers more information, one way or the other.
  • Options
    MrSanzpantsMrSanzpants Member Posts: 1

You ever find the answer to this?

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Someone went digging in the grave yard.

• Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭

i changed barrels in a colt series 70 from a 38 super to a 9mm, of course the rounds for those two are extremely close in size. my concern for you would be if you contacted ed brown barrels and he did have a barrel that would fit in the slide would the extractor still extract the spent round ? i fitted my barrel myself. i make no claim to be a gun smith but it seemed a very simple procedure and i pulled up some good instructions from ed browns web site or maybe they came with the barrel and bushing, cant recall at the moment. i'm thinking the barrel and bushing ran a little north of $200. good luck