In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

? about HK91 threaded barrel and flash hider

GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a flash hider that appears to be for a HK91 style of rifle. It's threaded on the inside, but on the outer circumference (at the back) is a cut-out groove that runs just over 1/4 of the outside diameter. Then there is a small hole about 1/4 of an inch from the grove. What would be the purpose of the grove and the hole?

Next, I have an SW3 that has the same exactly style of flash hider, but with a steel sleve on the inside (therefore now a muzzle brake for AWB reasons of course). There's a small amount of play when I move the muzzle brake back and forth as if I'm unscrewing it. What's keeping this thing on?

GL

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The groove which you see is for a retaining spring (more like a wire) which fits into that slot and is set into place when one end is lodged into the small hole. At the rear of the threads on all HK 91 and G3 rifles (as well as others) there are a series of ridges which the retaining spring "bites" onto and which prevents the flash hider from working loose. The flash hider also serves as a guide for rifle grenades, although the actual rifle grenade retainer is fitted to the front sight holder on G3 rifles (not present on HK commercial rifles) and the flash hider retaining spring prevents it from working loose when firing grenades as well. I have neither interest in or understanding of the HK clones/knock-offs so I can't provide any information on these rifles.

Mark T. Christian