In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone Ever Hear of a NORWEGIAN Mauser?

JokerJoker Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
I thought that I'd run across mention of just about any country that ever adopted the Mauser 98, when I ran across a Norwegian Mauser, chambered in .30-06.
Does such an animal truly exist?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Prior to WWII the Norwegian armed forces were equiped with Krag Jorganson rifles chambered for the 6.5X55mm Swedish Mauser cartridge. During the war Norway was occupied by the Germans and when they surrendered vast stocks of suplus K98 rifles were left behind, large numbers of which seemed to have been produced by Brno. Although Norway was given large stocks of US M1 service rifles (MAP provided 72,801) those ever frugal Scandanavians decided to rebarrel large numbers captured K98s to the US 30-06 cartridge, which was readily available and free for the asking, for home gaurd use. The ex-German rifles were fitted with new barrels, the box magazine modified to accept the new cartridge, a modified front sight fitted to adjust to the US rounds change in ballisitcs, and most receivers had a U-shaped notch milled in the ring to permit clip loading with the .30-06 cartridge. All of these mofifications were performed at the Kongsberg Arsenal in Norway.

There was also a special run of Norwegian NRA target rifles built on ex-K98 rifles with aperature sights and finely made sporter stocks for use in sanctioned matches and these rifles were sold to qualified Norwegian shooters for around $90US in the early 1960's. Years later approx. 4,000 of the .30-06 Mauser rifles were rebarreled once again to fire the new NATO STANAG 7.62MM cartridge. My thanks go to my good friend Jessica who is an Olympic class markswoman from Oslo and who will forgive the word frugal when discussing her countrymen...I meant cheap!

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the Mauser book I use, Norway imported a large quanity of German K98 models. These were captured and sold after the war(WW 2) .Their military used them for years,a lot of them were rebarrelled to 7.62 Nato (308) by Norway after that round became Nato's choice. what you are referring to is one these as they were given a Norwegian mark on the reciever. Either someone rebarrelled it to 30/06 or rechambered a 308 to it.
  • Options
    JokerJoker Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for your input. It's always a pleasant surprise for me to run into a Mauser that was issued in what I term "a non-metric" cartridge, especially in .308 or the great old .30-06.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10-4 Joker. I would love to get my hands on a Norwegian Mauser in 30-06.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeh, I have a brand new Norwegian 30/06 barrel that I have been hoarding for years just waiting to find an old original Norwegian rifle that needed a new barrel that I might pick up at a reasonable price. I'm still waiting but haven't given up hope yet.
  • Options
    intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 437
    edited November -1
    Most interesting to hear of a Norwegian 98 in 30-06. I have a Belgian made 98 in 30-06, and just aquired a Chilian 98 in 7.62[I am sure it was converted, but the Belgian is as issued].