In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

airplane regs for rifle transport?

jimbo1096jimbo1096 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a hunting trip scheduled toward the end of the year. I have to fly within the 48 states to get there. What problems, restrictions have members encountered having their firearm(s)sent with them on the trip. Can they be checked as baggage in a locked hardcase and picked up at the terminal end of trip? Any special arrangements required beforehand, maybe special arrangements when ticket is purchased? How about the danger of not having the rifle show up at all? I would appreciate any feedback and related experiences. Thanks, Jim H.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Jim H.,

It is no problem at all to fly within the United States with a longarm (I routinely do it all the time). There are no special arrangements that are needed, and it does need to be in a locking hardcase (but do not lock it until after it has been inspected at check in). You can not have any ammo with it though. Because the hardcases are generally odd sized, it will not come out on the standard baggage terminal, but all airlines have a special baggage area where you will pick it up. You will have to show your baggage claim ticket and ID to pick it up. I have never had any of my firearms that I have flown with not show up... airlines are REAL carefull about handling them due to the value, and the involvement with the FBI if it is lost or stolen.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Bert.
    So if you have it all sighted in with your special ammo, how do you get that to your destination? Can the ammo be checked in regular baggage or is that an absolute no-no?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim...

Pre-ship your ammo to your destination before you fly. Ammo is essentially considered the same as an explosive... so you NO, you can not take it aboard a commercial aircraft (as checked luggage or otherwise).

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's what I suspected. I talked to a few airlines and got varying answers, so know the members here would have "the right stuff". Thanks again.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jimbo... I have flown to competition matches numerous times with both long guns and handguns. As Bert mentioned, they do have to be in a locked hardcase and you must declare them at check-in.
    They will fill ou a tag that goes with the guns inside the case.

I have also taken ammo on such trips, but the ammo must be in a separate checked bag and in its original container. Depending on the airline they may have a limit on the number of rounds. I have flown since 9-11 and they allowed ammo, but with the aforementioned restrictions.

"Never let school interfere with your education"
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    You can take ammo in your checked baggage. It just cannot be in the hard case with the firearm.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimbo1096,

Laredo Lefty is correct for both parts, firearms and ammunition. If you choose to pack your ammunition for the flight, make sure that it can be examined but make equally sure that you can re-pack it rattle free. There is no worse surprise than arriving and unpacking to find banged up or loose ammunition with powder all over the place. This might not be a problem with hunting ammo but I know that it can be with some target/competition ammo. BTDT.

Do your homework on the airline's rules. Before you book your tickets, read their rules on the web and make sure that you understand them. If you don't, call the airline and get a clarification from a supervisor that is at an upper level of responsibility, not just a person that answers the phone. The lower level people are just as bad as the front counter people at the Post Office and at UPS. They say what they want, not what is true, because they haven't been trained properly. Before leaving a phone call, get the supervisor's name and employee ID number. I know that this sounds like a real pain but it will save you a bunch of trouble when you get an untrained counter person when you go to check in. Print out the rules from that airline's website and highlight the areas that apply to your travel plans with firearms. Have them ready at check-in and security. Do not hesitate to ask for a supervisor if things don't look like they are going right.

If it appears that the airline hesitates on the ammunition, there is nothing wrong with shipping it ahead of time to your destination. Make sure that it goes UPS and that the labeling is correct. Read the UPS regulations and get the right labels. I have done this with bulk ammunition for prairie dog shoots where my party is taking several thousand rounds and it is impractical to take it on the plane.

Read your insurance policy or ask your insurance agent about loss. Also, check with the airline on their policy of insurance on firearms. Unlike Bert H., I have had 3 rifles stolen and only 2 recovered. This is over a period of many years but 1 was post 9/11 and I never got it back and settling the claim of insurance was just plain obnoxious.

I still fly with firearms and I just make sure that I'm more prepared than the airline is. Most of the time it goes flawlessly and the folks handling the security are friendly.

Enjoy your trip and good hunting!
  • Options
    dicksterdickster Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be advised that the rifle counts as a second bag. They used to allow you two bags plus the rifle but not anymore.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input. I wanted to take about 300 rounds with me as some is hunting and some for range practice. I appreciate all the information and experience y'all give out here for FREE!