In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sporterized Springfield 1903 Mark 1

halffast59halffast59 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
Bought a 30-06 sporter that has been drilled/tapped for scope and bolt bent/etc. with sporter stock. Looks like original barrel probably, but has sporter taper and lyman blade front. Also drilled/tapped for receiver sight. Nice/clean sporter, and was wondering if the MARK 1 designation makes this rifle more valuable than a standard 1903? Any idea what the price range would be for a clean sporter like this?
Thanks
reply to.
cowboypoet@arizonapoet.com

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    With the drilling of the receiver, all collectability has been lost. It is a $200 shooter if it looks really nice.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello richbug is correct for most sporterized 1903 but there are exceptions GRIFFEN & HOWELL as well as some other HIGH END names made up some sporters that command good prices. Are there any names on yours??? quote:"PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    jnmiller75jnmiller75 Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I inherited a very similar rifle from my grandfather awhile back that sounds very similar to yours. It was also a 1903 Mk 1, with the original barrel, but had been taped and drilled for a scope mount and had a replacement monte carlo type stock. Unfortunately, like richbug said, since it had been drilled for a scope mount, collectibilty became zero. Hopefully you didn't pay too much and it is a good shooter for you.