In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL rules vs policy

cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
I was recently told by a ffl holder that in order for me to buy a firearm from a private party on the net he needed the seller to provide a copy of his driver license. True or false? Rule or policy?
Can you site the paragraph in the atf code that deals with this? Thanx as always. I cant imagine in this day of identity theft that any private party selling his gun be willing to send his drivers license coast to coast. Surely the atf cant presume people are that stupid.

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    An ffl has to log into his bound book where the firearm came from. This requires positive ID, either another dealers ffl copy, of a copy of an individuals ID.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Richburg is absolutely correct.

If you want to check ATF P 5300.4, you will find that an FFL must enter under the "Receipt" heading the sellers name and address OR FFL number. Now, the regs don't specifically say, "The FFL must have a copy of the seller's drivers license", but they do indicate that a state drivers license is an accepted form of identification.

I know dealers who have received guns in unmarked boxes, or with only a partial name & address. Incomplete records are a sure way for a dealer to lose his license.

Neal
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    richbug and nmyers are 100% right as far as I'm concerned.I've been an FFL for the last 15 yrs and if a seller cannot or will not identify them selves to my liking they can sell their gun else where. [:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    gulliblebuyergulliblebuyer Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just make certain that the copy of the Drivers License is enclosed with the firearm rather than sending it by fax or snail mail. It is, however, required. (or some other positive ID such as a non-expired passport)
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I was thinking passport should work, but my current passport does not contain address.

GBLogo-170x60.gif

MEMBER SINCE 10/24/1999.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.