In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Garand - price?

dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
edited November 2005 in Ask the Experts
I do not know much detail...other than this.

Garand, 80 rounds in clips with belt. Rifle also has bayonet and scabbord.

Price is 600 firm.

Thoughts?

Basically...and I know this is a big question...what should I be looking at when buying a Garand?

Comments

• Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not enough info to hazard a guess. I'm sure you will be told that.
    What your asking is kinda like: ... automobile, 4 tires, sedan, American made.... What's it worth?

Get more information, pictures if possible. There are some very knowlegable people here that will help you out.

Worry is the interest humans pay on the debt of miscalculation.
  • Options
    roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Robin has said, there are lot of variables. A cartouche on the wood and which cartouche can change the value by $300.
    The price sounds good.
    Good clean Lake City Arsenal ammo can cost upwards of thirty five cents a round. You can pay a buck each for enbloc clips. An M5A1 bayonet with M8A1 scabbard can be $35-$45. So roughly $70-$80 value in ammo, clips and bayonet. A Mills belt can fetch over $100, while a generic ten clip web belt in vg condition may fetch $50. Now, conservatively, we are over $125 in acc. So, you'd be paying $475 for the rifle. Even if the US M1 Rifle has an import mark on the bbl. near the front sight, it will fetch that. I will take the plunge and say buy it. Values on US M1 Rifles only go up from $475 and will continue to rise steadilly as we approach the centennial of WWII. The Japanese invaded China in 1931, which was the opening act of WWII. 2031 is only 26 years away. By that date your US M1 Rifle may increase in value ten fold. That is precisely what Civil War rifles did, leading up to the centennial in 1961.

roysclockgun
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    I know...go sit in the corner.

This is the only info that I have right now.

Going to look at it tonight is out of the question...we have been in the middle of a blizzard since yesterday.

So...here I sit....dreaming.

Any links to sites with info on the Garand? I know there were several manufacturers, etc, etc.

Anything that I should look for to absolutely rule out buying it?

THANKS again...the help is appreciated.
  • Options
    roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rule out buying it if the receiver is one of the commercial receivers made to use for putTing together US M1 Rifles from parts. The commercial receivers have had a lot of problems. During WWII, only Winchester and Springfield Armory in Springfield Mass, made M1 Rifles. During the Korean War, Sprinfield Armory along with H&R and IHC made M1 Rifles. That is it for makers of genuine USGI M1 Rifles. Three contractors and the Springfield Armory in Mass.
    Recently Century Arms International had some receivers rough casted in Spain and finished in the US, they have been very spotty, in terms of reliability, with feeding and extraction problems.

roysclockgun
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can still get a rack grade Garand from the
    DCM for $350 plus $22.95 shipping & no sales tax
    for most people. The gun will be shipped directly
    to you so no transfer or state fees.
    You do take your chances on what you will get
    unless you can visit one of the places they sell
    them. I picked mine out at Camp Pendelton & got
    what I think is a very nice one but I shutter to
    think of some of the others I saw.
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program Garand sales at http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm . You can get a feel for their value, depending on grade and condition. And anyone that can pass a background check can buy one, after a few simple qualifications are met.

Great day to be alive