In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help ID this pistol?

406STROKER406STROKER Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited June 2013 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any ideal what this is? Cant find another one like it any where. Thanks Eric.
2306.jpg
2-52.jpg
2-42.jpg
2-32.jpg
2-23.jpg

Comments

• 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no expert but I'll take a stab at it. It's a pocket type pistol, perhaps 1840-1850s era, with a folding trigger. Its in better shape than most I've seen. I'd don't know about the engraving(no expert),
    but like I said, nicer than most I've seen. I would guess caliber is .22-.32 Short.

Its pretty dusty but it looks like there is still some bluing in the protected areas. If you clean it don't use anything abrasive on it and don't try to remove any brownish patina, just remove dust, oil, old grease, etc.

After you clean it, look it over very well, use a magnifying glass if you have one. If there are no markings at all, maybe it never had any in the first place, if it went from the factory straight to the engraver.

The missing hammer is a big downside, unless you knew who made it, it could be hard to find. I have no idea of a value.
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see the word PATENT on left side under the engraving but the folding trigger suggests European origin.

Check rear face of cylinder for the ELG in an oval Belgian proofmark.

It's also missing the spring retainer for cylinder pin.
  • 406STROKER406STROKER Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not received the pistol yet so I cant look for any other marks. Thanks Eric. When it does get here I will look close at it. I just have never seen this configuration with folding trigger. Thanks Eric.
    edited November -1
    no ELG only SN on bottom of butt strap and on back of cyl. no other proof marks I can see. Will try to take grips off tonight and see if any marks under them. Thanks Eric.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only folding trigger gun I know of with that "extra" notched tab
    showing was made by J.B. Ronge Fils Of Liege. During those early years, many guns were "one off's", copies of others of the time period.

See page 147, picture # 1039 in "The Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Handguns" by A.B. Zhuk.
    edited November -1
    I looked real close with mag. glass and has the ELG in oval on side of cyl. in engraving with what looks to be a G with a crown over it. Whatever that means? Thanks Eric.
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 406STROKER
    I looked real close with mag. glass and has the ELG in oval on side of cyl. in engraving with what looks to be a G with a crown over it. Whatever that means? Thanks Eric.

The ELG in oval is the Liege, Belgium proofmark, and the crown over G is the unknown proofhouse inspector's mark.

Most such guns were made by anonymous "cottage industry" workmen.