In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How to determine the year of manufacture from HK serial number

bigdog1bigdog1 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in Ask the Experts
can someone refresh my memory on this method? I remember it was related to a letter/ number code in the serial numbers. thanks...

Comments

• AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its not in the serial number. There is a two-letter date code stamped near the serial number.A=0, B=1, C=2 through K=9 (skip J)A firearm with date code AB would be 2001.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • bigdog1bigdog1 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Dr. I am about to buy a nice pre-ban HK 91 and I was just curious as to the actual year of manufacture. Thanks also for the fast reply to my question....
  • bigdog1bigdog1 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So a date code of " IA " would be a 1980 manufactured rifle??? Is it possible that this vintage has a conventional land and grove rifling in the barrel? When I look, it does not appear to be the polygonal type. Does that make a big diffrence? What about its "collector" value? This one has the slimline green fore-end and buttstock, so where would I look for HK stampings? There doesn't appear to be any stamps on the outer surfaces??? Thanks..[This message has been edited by bigdog1 (edited 03-07-2002).]