In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sako w/o crossbolts

handwerkhandwerk Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
Does anybody out there know of which sako wood rifles were/are made without the cross-bolts exposed(capped on the exterior). I love the look of these guns but can't get past the unsightly caps south of the action. i know this is a strong action, but it degrades the look of the gun.

Comments

• Options
    JudgeRoyBeanJudgeRoyBean Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older guns, from the 50's, 60's, 70's with the L-46, L-461, L-57, L-579, actions were all without the cross bolts. These I know for sure as I have looked at these and noted the absence of the cross bolts. I cannot recall an L-61 action in my mind, which may or may not have the cross bolts, and unfortunately, my memory cannot always be counted on to be 100% correct. There may be others, but someone else will have to offer that information. I am only interested in the "Pre-Garcia" guns, (prior to about 1972), and am not familiar with the later guns.... Hope this helps a little!

Henry Ford stated: "There is no one more useless than a Convict, except perhaps, those that guard him." This was his reason NOT to hire either one!
  • Options
    handwerkhandwerk Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for getting back to me judge, I've been interested in sako's for a while, but don't know much about the older ones. Why are you interested in only the pre-garcia models? how do those differ than the ones from the last 30years or so? just wondering,I'm thinking about another gun soon, and it might be a sako.Also in the older models were any of them heavier than others?
  • Options
    JudgeRoyBeanJudgeRoyBean Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supposedly, in about 1972, "Garcia Sporting Goods" became the sole importer of Sako rifles and because of this, Garcia had all new guns marked with their name, "Garcia." Accordingly, the line of guns underwent some "changes" and some of these changes made the manufacture of the guns easier and cheaper. Some "corner cutting" in manufacture tended to be noticeable and therefore when compared to the "Pre-Garcia" guns, they showed some differences and some of these differences appeared to be detrimental either cosmetic or otherwise. The Blue Book of Gun Values places a 25% premium on the values of the "Pre-Garcia" guns because of this fact.

Now having said all that, the "Garcia" models I have seen seem to be of very high quality and any apparent differences as compared to the "Pre-Garcia" guns are not noticeable to me unless by direct comparison between the models in some guns. For instance, in some cases, the Blue is not as dark and deep and shiny on the later guns when set side by side with an excellent speciman of the earlier gun in the same model in some cases. This is only from my experience and maybe others find it to be differently. Suffice to say, the early guns are worth more in the Blue Book and in Auction History.

I have shot several of each vintage and find them to be the same as regards accuracy, etc. If I had no collector interest and only wanted a fine rifle to shoot and hunt with I would probably purchase the later gun because it would be somewhat cheaper and every bit as good to shoot. My opinion and others may feel differently but value is pretty stable on these guns and has been for some time. Their values don't change much so appreciation is not as good as a collector might like.

The older models have Bofors steel 12 lan rifling and some have "heavy" barrels and most have very fine figured and finished stocks. All in all, they are very nice and eye catching rifles. Accuracy is better than what most folks are able to shoot by far, and no excuses are needed for any of the nicer specimans. You wouldn't be disappointed by having a Garcia or a Pre-Garcia Sako, but I understand there has been some problems with the new synthetic models from Berretta, (Today's Importer of Sakos), which are sold today. Just what these problems are or have been is unclear to me as I haven't followed the new guns which are stainless steel and black plastic for the most part, something I don't find to be my idea of a "Real Sako" rifle. A lot of folks have these and someone will probably add to this and explain further where I an unable to do so.

Henry Ford stated: "There is no one more useless than a Convict, except perhaps, those that guard him." This was his reason NOT to hire either one!