In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 mag rifle?

Shadow83Shadow83 Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
About 8 months ago I purchased a Tracker .22 mag. This is the first .22 mag I have owned and find that I really like the calibre. I am considering getting a .22 mag rifle now. It seems that the Ruger 10/22 in is a very popular shooter (and is avail in .22 mag) and mods (like SS barrel, light triggers, etc) are readily available and reasonably priced.

Any opinions?

Shadow83
Love My Country,
Fear My Government

Comments

• Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I prefer bolt action myself, I went with a Marlin 25mn put a cheap tasco scope on it and it'll shoot 1/2" wooden dowels in half at 75yds.
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm with d@d... i have a 25mn, i free floated the barrel and i shot sub inch groups at 100 yards off a bench all day long... only likes remington ammo though...
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington Model 597 semi auto .22 mag and it has been a good rifle so far (5 years?) anyway, I have read alot of bad things on this forum about the 597. I guess I am fortunate to have a good one. it is a tack driver with the 50gr Federal jacketed hp's. I had a Marlin 922 semi auto and sold it to get the 597. The Marlin was not nearly as accurate. They also make ballistic tip spitzer bullets for the .22 WMR.

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had a marlin 883 stainless synthetic i picked up at WALlace for around $200. it would just rip the center out of targets. kind of reminded me of shooting the bb guns at the fair trying to blast the red mark out of it. it was definitely a great gun. topped with a simmons 8-point 3-9x40 and an extra mag and tax for under $300.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that NEF offers a single shot version in 22mag. Also I think the offer replacement barrels in other calibers. In this case rimfires like the 17HRM and 22LR. They are also suposed to be very accurate and inexpensive. The rimfire I've been thinking about buying is the Tarus pump in either 22mag or the 17HMR stainless. I haven't been able to get any good data on either, as yet.
  • Options
    alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the winchester 9422 mag is very accurate for a lever action and can be very quick shooting. i have to say though, my marlin 83ts 22mag is very very accurate with remington ammo and will hit the center targets out all day at 75yrds. if you like the ruger 10/22 style then go for it, i've actually been thinking of getting one myself.

www.alaskancampfire.com
  • Options
    Shadow83Shadow83 Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the info.

The only reason that I am looking at the 10/22 is because the accessories seem to be reasonably priced and extremely widely available. What ever I get I intend to put a bull barrel on it at a min, but I prefer SS. I do like the idea of the NEF being able to change calibres but I haven't heard of one. Any more info?

When I was a teenager in PA I had a Remington 700 in 25.06 with a 12x32 Redfield which would shoot 5" groups at 500 yards. I actually dropped dead a buck at 700 yards once. Pure luck though, I wouldn't claim any real skill since a fly could have knocked the bullet off course.

Shadow83
    Love My Country,
    Fear My Government
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    For the money its hard to beat the NEF single shot I had one in 22hornet, 223win and 45-70gov't and all 3 were real nice shooters. You could send it in to H&R and have them put on a 17mach II, 22lr, and 17 hmr. And there a few companies starting to come out with different accessories. And they will adjust the trigger for free if you so chose.

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=4&subcat=9