In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

UltraSport vs GTI

jdwelchjdwelch Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hi,

I'm just getting started with shotgun shooting. I'm looking at shooting trap and then maybe skeet. I've shot a few rounds of trap with borrowed guns and can hit about 8-10. Pretty good for me.

I've been looking for a good gun to buy for a few months. I now have the option of either a Browning UltraSport with 30" barrel or GTI with 28" barrel. Both are 12 gauge, ported and have several tubes. The GTI is about $100 less than the Ultra.

My questions are.. Will the 2" make enough difference I'll notice? Will the shorter barrel make it harder to resell in the future? Is one gun obviously better than the other?

Thanks for your opinions

Comments

• Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The GTI and Ultra are virtually the same gun. The GTI was no longer
    made after 1994, and the Ultra replaced it. There are some subtle
    changes, finish type, reciever finish, tapered rib on the Ultra and
    Broadway type rib on the GTI. They both weigh in about 8#. If you are just starting, I guess I'd recommend the 28", but that's me. The 30" will be a little tougher at skeet, where everything is up close and personal, but at trap (sporting clays), the longer barrels help in the follow thru on longer range targets. Barrel length is sort of like hemlines, every so often the new "magic" length is different.
    Of the last few years, barrels have been trending longer in trap and clays. Whichever one fits you, you swing well and when you pull it up and it's right where you want it. Some will depend on your build, as smaller body types usually do better with shorter barrels, but there are exceptions. Main thing here is not to expect perfection the first weeks out. You're going to have spent time, shells and money to shoot, the more the better. It will become an extension of yourself after a while, so you're pointing, not aiming. I have a 28" GTI and a 32" Ultra. I dearly enjoy my 28" and rarely take the 32" out to play anymore. 30" is a sort of compromise between the two and I have friends who have both and shoot them well (or not, depending on your "day")
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of topic, how much are they asking for the GTI, and what does it come with? Only asking to get a idea of what mine is worth.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    jdwelchjdwelch Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks allechalley. I figure I'll be doing good to hit 50% after a few weeks practice. I'm left eye dominate but right handed, really screws up shooting. Mechanics just aren't comfortable yet shooting left handed.

Figured I'd try trap first since it seems you have a little longer time to get a shot off even if the distance is farther.

I am leaning towards the GTI for economical reasons but if a good argument was made for the Ultra would go ahead and spend the extra. I don't want to start out with something that really isn't going to work and then end up not enjoying the game. I did not realize they were both basically the same gun.
  • Options
    purebreedcoltpurebreedcolt Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the left eye dominant problem you might want to try shooting with a patch over your right eye. My girlfriend is the same way but i am right handed and right eye dominant. anyways she shot like that for a while and it really helped. Also worked for her in archary. Know it limits your vision but it really helps train your right eye.