In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

REMINGTON MODEL 31

bridgebuilder41bridgebuilder41 Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
I was given A model by my father-in -law and I want to value it for insurance purposes. He bought it in the 40's, Shot it fives times,and had it in storage until he gave it to me. Original condition and it hasn't been shot since I received it. Please give me some range of value.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I saw a remington model 31 pump,and it has the rounded forend like my old 870 wingmaster.is the model 31 as good as the 870 or better.they look alot alike.thanks...brian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I looked in the Blue Book to find the value of a Remington model 31, 16 gauge. All model 31 listings have a suffix letter such as 31A, 31B,etc. The one I have just has model 31 on the receiver. I don't know if this is how all 31's are stamped or not. Can someone help clarify this a little better. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the Remington Model 31 shotgun similar the Winchester model 12 or is an entirely different design? Could it be the forerunner to the 870? Is it considered to be anywhere near equal to the model 12?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Rem model 31 16 ga., serial # 529797 that has an unusual marking of KJL on the barrel. I have seen on-line that these markings indicate month and year of manufacture but have not seen one with the 3 letter marking as this one. Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On a Remington model 31 do 16 and 20 gauge have same stock?thanks
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    probably better, put parts are hard to come by.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why did they stop making the model 31.And how long was it made..brian
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were made from 1931,(that's why they're called Model 31) until 1949 for a run of 18 years and 160,000 guns. Book price in good condition is $275. Add $50 for excellent condition, 50% for 32 inch barrel, add 40% for early checkered stocks, 25% for vent or solid rib, and 25% for early banded barrel.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what does banded barrel mean?..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    did some 31 models have alloy receivers.are they worth more?..brian
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guns with a banded barrel has a ring or "band" of steel around the barrel just in front of the receiver. I don't know the purpose as I've never seen one in person. I don't think they made these with alloy receivers. These shotguns bring pretty good prices. It not unusual to see someone ask over $400 and higher for one in excellent condition. Price of course, depends on condition and features, and will vary greatly.
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were also made for military W/compensator i have one but need orginal stock for one.tks hedge