In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903 A3

sendero270huntersendero270hunter Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
my grandpa bought this rifle( without stock) back in the 50's...it was still in resin, and since then no one has ever drilled into the reciever. a few years back the stock cracked, and i had a new one installed, (glass bedded, free floating the whole deal...then had a reciever sight mounted on the gun. no gunsmithing required. very impressed with it's accuracy, and although the sentimental value exceeds whatever i could sell it for, i'm curious to what it's worth. thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    03 A3's have gone up substantially since the NRA and DCM was selling them in the 60's. ( Mine cost me $ 17.00 ). Unfortunately when the original stock has been replaced with a sporter it affects it's value to a collector quite a bit. If it would be still possible for you to find a original, "vintage" stock and put it back in the condition that it left Smith Corona, it would probably be in the $300 to $500 range. Depending on condition and originality.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    sendero270huntersendero270hunter Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my grandpa once told me that it came without a stock, he bought it unfired, wrapped in resin...all the serial numbers match...
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sendero270hunter
    my grandpa once told me that it came without a stock, he bought it unfired, wrapped in resin...all the serial numbers match...

It's been many moons since I got my $17 03A3 from the DCM. To the best of my recollection it had a stock and it wasn't wrapped in resins.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And, 03A3's didn't have "matching numbers"; the only place that had the serial number was the receiver.

I agree with rufe-snow on the value if you were able to replace the stock. As it is now, it's worth $150-200.

Neal