In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30/30

sendero270huntersendero270hunter Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
i want a lever action rifle to accompany the number of bolt action rifles that i've so rapidly aquired. i'm thinking along the lines of the 30/30 or the 45-70. where i hunt a short lever action would be a smart addition to my arsenal...which caliber, manufacturer, and model. thanks

Comments

• Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about a Marlin Guide Gun?

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    One word Marlin.

John
  • Options
    westlund_125westlund_125 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get the marlin 336 in .35 rem.

"A good scope can end a bad situation"
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Marlin lever action in 30/30, 35 Remington, or 45-70 would serve you well. I have all three, but it's the older 70's version of the Model 1895 in 45-70 that I usually end up carrying. The 405 grain load is my favorite ammo. No scope, iron sights do the job fine out to 100 yards.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know, not made anymore, but take a look at a Savage 99. Nice carry, modern design, ahead of it's time and calibers from 30/30, .243 on up to .308, .358
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Marlin, Savage, or a Browning (with the gate loader and not the clip).

I love those old savages, with the internal rotary mag. Shoot good and tough guns. Lots of choices for calibers. I like my .308 in the Savage. I have a Browning 44 mag and it is a great little rifle as well. Marlin, especially the old ones (pre 1970) are dandy lever actions.

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if i could get a nice savage 99 in .250 savage i'd be a happy man
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even though I grew up with a Win 94 30-30 (and still have it) I'm going to suggest a Marlin 336 (stock fit reasons) in either 30-30 or 35REM. Both cartridges have proven themselves as 200yd deer cartridges, and hold a +/- 3" trajectory out to 200yd (even with Iron Sights).
    I personaly had my neighbors 336 in 35Rem shooting MOA off bags (handloads), and a kid he loaned it to tipped over a mature doe at 350yd (Amish kids can judge distances across open fields, comes from walking across them many times in their life.)

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's something about the feel of an older Winchester Model 94 that no others can duplicate. Marlins are great, Savages too but give me an old 94 anytime!
    By the way I shot a friends 45/70 Marlin long Cowboy gun the other day and it shot well ( accurate) but I hate to admit had brutal recoil, I can't imagine the short Guide gun, then with the porting on it I bet it will blow your eardrums to hell in a hunting situation. In my opinion if it's something you want to enjoy shooting as well as owning get a 30/30, shells are cheap, recoil is manageable and will put deer down at the same ranges you can hit them with a 45/70.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    My vote goes for the Savage Model 99, chambered in .300 Savage. In my opinion there is no second choice, as that would be making the correct decision the FIRST time!*LOL* Whatever you buy, get good with it and have fun
  • Options
    allrndcowboy123allrndcowboy123 Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester 94 all the way. I've had mine for years and never a single problem.