In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullet drop for 22 mag

benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
Anybody know the drop rate on 22 mag? It is zeroed at 75 yards. CCI ammo. How much below point of aim will be bullet be at 100, 200, 300, 500 yards? Rifle is a Marlin. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have my marlin 25mn sighted in at 100 yards havent gone out any further with it to see where it hits, i shoot less than an inch at 100 yards with it and havent had any problems popping squirrels out to 100 yards with it... never checked point of impact other than 25 and 100 yards... just out of curiousity ... any reason you were wondering where you would hit out past 150 yards with a 22 mag??
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here it is. Not sure if you will like it. The drop rate is not linear (a straight line) but is exponential (a curve), therefore, the bullet drop is not in even multiples of -2.0 inches at 125 and -4.0 inches at 300 yards. See the below graph.

22CCIMag.jpg

At 150 yards the projectile would be -7.54 low with a 75 yard zero and -19.94 inches at 200 yards.

If you were zeroed at 75 and had a 100 yard target range the rifle would have to sighted +0.97. If it were, the drops above would be a little less extreme. Probably, 150 yards is about the maximum effective range for the 22 Mag given drag beyond 150 yards.

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remington nut
    i have my marlin 25mn sighted in at 100 yards havent gone out any further with it to see where it hits, i shoot less than an inch at 100 yards with it and havent had any problems popping squirrels out to 100 yards with it... never checked point of impact other than 25 and 100 yards... just out of curiousity ... any reason you were wondering where you would hit out past 150 yards with a 22 mag??

I have a large field where wheat is planted every year. Crows are a problem so i try to keep them chased off. It is about 500 yards to the far side of the field. It is fun to take long shots but the crows are pretty safe.
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like you need a nice 22-250, that would take care of the crows... and still be lots of fun
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    I'm with remington nut, you need to go out TODAY and get a 22-250 for the crows, a .22, mag or otherwise ain't gonna get it done at that range! See your friends here at GunBroker have provided you with a valid reason to purchase another fine caliber! Need any advice on what to buy???[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your inputs. I took the time this afternoon to step off the distance and my estimate of 500 yards was wrong. It is a little over 350 yards to the other side of the field. A crow would have to be unlucky to be hit at that distance.