In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is the best Ruger rifle in 25-06 ??

danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
Wood stock only, what is the best model & does anyone know dealer cost on it.???
Dan

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Number #1.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Best Ruger Rifle???? Isn't that a condradiction in terminology? Go Remington.

I would venture to say the #1 would be the most accurate.

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    I always like the old 77V , tang safety , the one i have is in 280rem , it will hold a 2.5" group at 300 yards
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're all good, go with what you like.
    I've taken a shine to the laminate stocked version myself.
  • Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan, a lot of which rifle is best depends on what you want to use it for the most. Since you specified a wood stock, would you object to a laminated stock? If not, I would pick the caliber you want from one of the laminated stocked stainless models in the Model 77 bolt action line. They used to make these with sights also, but dropped them last year. However, you see them on the auctions occasionally. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    By the way, ignore ECC's remark about Rugers, they are just as good as any other rifle on the market. Everyone has their favorites, and they all make the occasional lemon.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    I'm curious to know what you mean by "Best"? I never thought I'd buy a Ruger in anything but the No.1, but have recently decided(almost) to buy a BAR Safari in the 25-06. I guess you have to decide exactly what you want out of the rifle, first and foremost. Me personally, WHEN I decide which caliber I want a single shot in, it's gonna be the No.1, stainless, laminate. Give us more info, help us to help you spend money (decide)[}:)]
  • Options
    danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not for me, it's for a good friend of mine, he wants it for his son to deer hunt with.
    He asked me, but I only use custom built rifles , So I thought I would ask you guy's what you would look for in a Quality Ruger.
    Dan
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like the others said, it depends on what type of hunting (a lot of walking or set stand, long range) and his son's physical size as well as age. Seems like Savage had a youth model sized to smaller builds. I looked up Ruger site (www.ruger.com) and was surprised at the list prices. I noted they have a special edition in .257 Roberts. Action may be shorter on that one and can be loaded to approach 25-06, espec. the Ruger. The 25-06 is a fine choice but does take a long action and can be a "boomer". Just depends, if his son is older and gangly he probably will do fine. Most any of the bolt or the Number 1 will be fine. The Number 1 has the advantage of being shorter overall length even with a long barrel and make for nice handling rifles.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a M77 MKII that I thougt would be a dog, but after a vigilant break-in process and a bolt in Boyds stock, the damn thing is accurate (sub moa to .5moa and better on occasion). That being said, what type of hunting. I am sure you know I favor heavy barrels, I have yet to be proven worng in my conviction that they will day in and day out, shoot far better than a pencil barrel. That leaves only the M77 MKII VT. BUT, if a heavy rifle doesn't fit the application, well, roll the dice. Ruger has gone back to in-house hammer forged barrels. The ruger 77 had a bad rep because of very poor outsourced barrels. One would shoot well, and the next would be a 2-3" rifle deserving of a place on the load bench to hold down paper when the wind blows. As long as it is new production, he has a far better chance of getting a good barrel.

Now, to address ECC's comment, I too opt for the rem700 above all else. They just flat out shoot well. I bought one recently on a chance from a pard who needed money to finish his 1000yd Heavy Gun. It is a classic in 6.5x55. The rifle sucked to say the least. I shoved the folded top of a pack of marlboro's I found on the ground, under the front of the barrel to provide a contact pressure, and the goups were instantly 1/2 the size. That is the rem700 I know and love. they rarely require much help and are proven performers. Just ask a military Sniper what his life depends on. The US has the largest budget in the world, and could carry mcmillans if they thought that to be the best bet,..but the M24 (aka heavy barreled rem700 with a mike rock 5r barrel) is the weapon of choice.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?