In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

any .50 shooters thoughts?

in2b8uin2b8u Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am in the process of researching a 50 cal purchase. I looked at the Barrett 99, and the Armalite, and the Cobb 50. Any thoughts. First off I shoot left handed (devils eye) second both the Barrett and the Cobb both have aluminum uppers w/ steel reinforcements of one kind or another. This is a once only purchase, I really do not want to screw it up. ANY thoughts, input, experience with any of these products that you may have had would be appreciated. Thank you again in advance. db[:D]

I proudly pledge allegience to one nation under God.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    For the money, Armalite is hard to beat. They have an amazing muzzle brake with almost no felt recoil. The shock wave from the muzzle blast on the other hand will knock your head back. The bolt on the Armalite is MASSIVE. It's a very well made rifle. You said .50 cal...there are many variants of the .50. I'm assuming your speaking of the .50 BMG.

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only speak for the Barrett 99 since that is the only 50BMG I have shot and handled in debt.

First off, if you are looking for a SERIOUS tack driver in 50. The Armalite doesn't cut it, nor the Barrett 99. May want to look into the McMillan 50BMG, I have seen those put 3 shots in the same hole at 100. Pretty dyam good for a big rifle like that.

But if you want a good durable 50BMG that is battle proven for durability and accuracy for HARD targets the Barrett is the way to go. It is simple and easy to maintain.

Only problem I have is the gun is not exactly user friend when it comes to ergonomics. Scopes also sit pretty high when you use a 50 or 56mm object which is needed for long range shooting.

IMO if you going to drop that kind of money on a 50, spend a lil more and get a Mcmillan 50. They are very nice to shoot. Rented one at a local range and out of all the 50s I have played with, those are the nicest.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Just sold my Cobb FA50 at the last gunshow, it was gonna cost me more to shoot for a year than it did to purchase it. Nice gun, heavy enough, fairly accurate (I didn't have a chance to make any reloads, I was shooting mil surplus), everybody at the range moved away three or four lanes whenever I'd go shoot it.
    If I had it to do over, I'd go with a McMillan or the semi Barrett.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the Serbu BFG50 with a Lothar Walther match barrel.
    MOA 1" or less, mostly less.

Bill
  • Options
    in2b8uin2b8u Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you gentleman for your input. The more I look the more questions I have. But I am certain that a 50 is in my future.

I proudly pledge allegience to one nation under God.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Anzio guarantees < 1 MOA and < .49 MOA w/ target barrel. Their mag fed .50 starts under $3000. I am waiting for one with standard barrel to be built.

Run like a r/\ped /\pe if someone tries to sell you a Vulcan (Hesse).

http://anzioironworks.com/index.html

york.bmp"No taxation without representation, Join the NRA"
  • Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel the SERBU BFG is to most rifle for the money. Put a Nightforce NXS 5x22x56mm N2 and you will have all the gun you will ever need... welllll not quite...I now have a Barrett(in addition) 82A1 for close in shooting (Nightforce 3.5x15x56mm N2). Best, Robert [;)]

"Endurance"<P><br>