In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Whats it worth 1913 Winchester Model 12

Big Lt.Big Lt. Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited November 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm sure somebody out there can help. Item: Winchester Model 12
20 ga. Serial # puts it as mid 1913 manufacture with 2 1/2" chamber. Doesn't appear to have ever been modified to 2 3/4". Original finish about 35% on metal, no rust, remainder silver gray. Wood appears original with some original finish maybe 30% left, forearm is nice but somebody carved their initials in stock, has original buttplate. All in all looks good for a 90+ year old gun. The gun has seen a lot of use but is still tight and functions well. I have been looking for a 1912 manufacture date gun but struck out so far[B)]. The gun will go in a gun cabinet as an example of an early Model 12. My question is this: knowing all folks look at things a bit different what would you expect a gun such as this to sell for??[?][?]
Any help would be appreciated.[:D]
Thanks for your input and suggestions.
Lt.[8D]
P.S. I'm the buyer NOT the seller!

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Big Lt.

First order of business... what you have is actually a "MODEL 1912" versus a "MODEL 12".

The collector value is going to be minimal due to the well used condition. I would expect it to sell for about $300.

Bert H.

Real Men use a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good morning Big Lt. and Bert: Well let's start with the serial number, 1912 s/n's were 1-5308. 1913 were 5309-32418. 1914 were 32419-79765. That's from Riffles book, and is real close to what Maddis has come up with too.

These early 20 & 16 ga. guns are "Catch 22" guns. Meaning if they are original, they have short chambers, if they have been opened up, they are no longer original. Standard field guns don't bring as much as ones produced from 1927 and on. (The year Winchester went to 2 3/4in. chambers).

There are some unique features on the early guns, such as a non-grooved receiver. (full radius, with the 5/16ths matt down the top), the 13 ringed, (grooved) forearm, 13 & 5/8ths LOP, (later went to 13 & 3/4s). the 25in barrel, (discountinued in the mid 1920's)

Now finding one that's still original, after all these years, is getting harder all the time. Granted the "finish" (metal and stocks) isn't what most would consiider "collector quality" however on a field gun, it's kind of hard to find one like new in the box at 90 plus years of age. Although no exact figures have been released by gauge, and this is only an estimate, based on total production for this time period, only about 60,000 20ga. guns were made in this configuration, before the receiver was grooved, the forearm lengthened, etc. some authorities feel at least 1/3 of all Md 12's no longer exist, then add in reblued, restocked, rechambered, choke device added etc. Finding an early Md 1912 20ga. that's original, is rare today.

If you want an early Md 1912 20ga. that's original what can you expect to pay? Sometimes it boiles down to how much knowledge the seller has and the buyer has. You now know the short cummings of the early guns Big Lt. short chamber, shorter butt stock. this could work to your advantage. Depending on the "wear" I would check to make sure all barrel stamping are clear and readable, along with the serial numbers. I would remove the barrel assy. from the receiver and see where the adjusting sleeve is, (what notch, along with the bluing on it, if it's darkerer than the rest of the gun internally there is a good chance it's been replaced) some early guns had some real nice figure in the butt stock. So with all that said, I can give you a range, about $250-$450. Kind of difficult without seeing it.

The good news short shells are still available so it can be used. I can tell you, I paid $400 for a first year 20ga, many years ago in about that condition. The only reason, it was a first year gun. I also bought a 1921 20ga. the first year 28in barrels were available, in about 80% for $400. So if you collect because of certain features, not necessarily condition, and knowing the changes that occurred over the years. Again not many around in this age bracket that are still original. If you want it, deal for it.

Regards Dave
  • Options
    Big Lt.Big Lt. Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Bert & Dave
    I've read with interest the letters you both sent and I want to thank you for your comments and suggestions they are indeed appreciated. I am in your debt gentleman.
    Lt.[8D]