In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 dies?

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2005 in Ask the Experts
i am going too buy a set of dies too load some 223 for my mini 14.i ill be loading them on a lee turret press i have.what are the best dies for the 223? are lee carbide good?thanks don

Comments

• Options
    JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't like the Lee but they are OK, I would go with RCBS or LYMAN. I didn't know Lee made any carbide rifle dies. There are some out there but they are expensive. Jim

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two sets of .223 dies, one is Hornady and the other Redding. Both are excellent dies but I think I like the Redding sizing die a little better, and the Hornady seating die better. Nobody makes a better die than Redding as far as fit and finish is concerned. I recently bought a set of Lee Carbide dies for the 30M1 Carbine and I really don't like them, especially the crimp die.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The key phrase you used is "for my mini-14." With that gun any die set is fine.

SB, or Small Base may help with feeding the reloads. Using high end dies is not necessary. You will wear the gun out ten times before you wear out the dies.

Lee, is probably the least costly for your application. I have them in 30-30 and am pleased. Redding products are well made but not the least costly for you.

I can't see enough difference in the brands for it to matter with plinker guns.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Acutally Doc, Dillon makes carbide dies for the .223 and the .308. They run $115.00 a set and still require the cases to be lubed.[;)]
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I load for an autoloader I size the brass then make sure it will chamber in the rifle I am loading for.If not,turn the die in a little at a time until you get the desired results.I have used Lee 223 dies for years with no problems.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc, Heck I don't use those things! $115.00 is crazy when I have plenty of elbow grease and as far as I can see that is the only benefit of using them. I think they came out about 2 years ago but I'm not sure. I use the Dillon spray lube and a stolen [}:)] cookie sheet. Then I use the RCBS brush from my old kit and lube the inside of about every 5th case from .223 up to .280. Works great and saves a ton of time.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the Lee Dies and a Rifle charging Die, and you can use the Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure.

standard.jpg

Eagle_Guns.gif

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by doc boehm
    ATF, you got any use for a Lee turret press? Cheap.

Neo-Jedi
    Order
    th_reblogo.gif
    Candidate
    Three sentences that will get you out of any situation:
    1. Cover for me.
    2. It was like that when I got here.
    3. Great idea boss.

doc,I have two Lee Turret Presses a 3 hole and a 4 hole and also have 2 Pro 1000s.Me thinks me got enough[:D] Thanks anyways.

Eagle_Guns.gif

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    I could use one doc.

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder

"Are you a photographer?"
    "No im a combat correspondant"
    "Well you seen much combat?"
    "Yeah I seen a little on TV"
    "Youre a real comedian"
    "Well they call me the Joker"