In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 .45 acp slide

remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I want to find a new or used in good condition slide for my Springfield widebody, preferrably already with the bigger ejection port. The guy that i'm having put this gun together told me that there are hard and soft slides made for the 1911's and that i wanted the hard slide not the soft. Not being real knowledgable about the 1911's i figued i'd ask here to find out what would be my best choice for a slide, the sights aren't important, i'm having him take care of that for me. I'm trying to put together a pretty accurate 1911 without having to rob a bank, but i want quality parts... any help?

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have put together several 1911's by picking up used parts at gunshows. I use 70 Series Colt slides when I can find them. I have bought them as cheap as $40 that had been cut for Bomar sights. I picked up a Springfield slide several years ago for $65. It had been thru their custom shop and had some cosmetic problems. A dealer at a show had picked up 8 of them. If you buy new parts, it is cheaper to just buy a complete pistol. It costs a good bit to have things fitted.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello If you look on this site as well as[:(][xx(][:(]EBARF you will see a number of 1911 type slides The series 70 colt is great and the GOLD-CUP slide will have the lowered eject port you are looking for I would also look at the new REMSPORT they make slides for some of the big name companys and allways have many slides on that other web site. You can go online and look at BROWNELLS they are a great place for 1911 type parts any colt from WWII or later is good but avoid early colts or other military slides . Now let the flames began BUT I HAVE TESTED for hardness with a rockwell hardness tester and in a place that does not deface the slide. I would at all cost avoid CHARLES DALY , AUTO ORDANCE. ROCK ISLAND and NORINCO the ones I have tested are soft.Your mileage may vary. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remington, I concur with what the above gentlemen told you. If you can find one of the National Match slides made by Colt for the Army Marksmanship Unit, grab it. One of the hardest slides I ever saw and could be fitted and stoned to a butter smooth function. I found a barrel at a gun show one time and bought it but I have never run across one of the slides, but if I do--it goes home with me. I don't know what they would register on the rockwell gage but the ones I saw were very hard indeed.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well , Good Luck , we have been looking for a slide ( 4 different reasons & purposes ) with very poor results !!! seems everybody act as if 45 slides are made of gold ???
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

My dog is the best person I know...
    If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

I love guns & Shooting!