In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700 black powder problem

baaddawgbaaddawg Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
edited November 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to get my new rifle to shoot well. It is a remington 700 black powder in 45 caliber. I shot it 20 times with Thompson Center Maxi-Hunter bullets, and could not get anything close to a group at only 50 yards. I use the same brand bullets in 2 other 50 caliber and 1 54 caliber muzzle loaders with great results.

I think the rifle/bullet combination is the problem. Does anyone have experience or suggestions that might help?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    try the maxi balls. i think thats what they are called. they are just a pure lead bullet, with a knurled bottom and kind of round on top. i think TC makes them. thats what a buddy and my brother shoot out of theirs.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try the hornady XTP slugs.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the best results in a Black Diamond with Power Belt bullets. You may also have to experiment with the powder load. I get far better accuracy with 100-130 grains than 150 grains, using pyrodex pellets. Loose powder may work even better.
  • Options
    XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try rounds with a Sabot. The twist rate is more suitable for sabots instead of plain lead bullets. Mine gets 4" 100 yd. groups with 2 pyrodex pellets and 250 grain Barnes expanders.
  • Options
    hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, throw them maxi-balls away. I've hunted with Remington muzzleloaders scince they've come out, and they all have shot extremely well for me. I use 100 grains of Triple-7, and I've used Barnes, Hornady SST's, and the Cabela's Extended Range bullets, all with extremely good accuracy. Anywhere from 1" to 1.5' groups at 100 yards. I would say the Barnes has provided the best Terminal performance, but dead is dead, and all 3 bullets I mentioned killed Whitetails with no problem.
  • Options
    joer256joer256 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one when they first came out, and had it back to the dealer that evening. Needless to say I was very upset, but after a few minutes the dealer calmed me down by saying he has had several complaints about the gun but new the solution that I was looking for. I had been shooting 150 grams of powder with the lightest bullet I could find for distance. My gun hit all over the target on every shot. The dealer told me to lower my powder and to shoot about a 240 with a sabot. I lowered the powder to a 100 grams and it did much better. I was experimenting so I went down to 80 grams and it will stack them now. No problem with taking deer over a 100 yards with ease. So my suggestion is to try to lower your powder and I think things will work out.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please note that the powder load is in GRAINS- not GRAMS. 100 grams is almost a quarter pound of powder- not a good load unless you are into cannons.

"I have good news and bad. Make it through, you don't have to prove anything to anyone the rest of your life. Bad news- you have to prove it to me first." CSM, US Army Ranger School.
  • Options
    baaddawgbaaddawg Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

I switched to Powerbelt 225 grain Aerotips, with 2 fifty grain pellets and it is a tack driving machine.

It is shooting 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards, by a blind man!

Thanks for your help!!!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you! Now about those new glasses...