In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL neededed to ship from NY state

hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
Is a ffl needed to ship amo from the state of new york?and how do you ship it. tks hedge

Comments

• Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I don't know about NY and it's stricter gun laws. But you don't need an FFL to ship ammo in Okla.
    But it's expensive. USPS won't handle it, so you have to use Fdex or UPS. And you have tell them what it is so they can label it as explosive. And the cost is high.
    I once bought some (40 rds) milsup 30.06 ammo at a flea mkt. that intended to use in an M-1 Garand. But after checking the headstamps I learned that the ammo was foriegn made MG ammo that was too hot for an M-1. But OK for bolt action rifles.
    I sold it to guy on a forum I frequented for what I paid for it, plus $10. shipping. It cost me ALL of the amount I collected (price + shipping), just to ship it.
    You can probably get the info you need by contacting Fedex or UPS.

Extremism in persuit of Freedom is no vice.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    ammo is not shipped haz-mat, but ORM-D. Must go by ground, either FEDEX, or ups. No extra charges involved.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Richbug is correct, "ORM-D small arms ammunition" label and no extra charges. UPS ships ammo every day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I don't recall the exact classifications. But I do know it was IMO expensive for such a small package. I think $18.00 is what it cost me. Did I get ripped off?

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    hazmat charges run about $20 plus shipping for primers and powder. you got hosed.

I use fedex, I just shipped 700+ rounds of 30 ammo and some magazines for $11. If yu have a Kinkos handy, use them I find them incredibly easy to deal with. they are owned by Fedex.

Simply walk in with you box clearly labled "ORM-D Small arms munitions" Inside a box written in block letters.

Fill out their form, don't check the box that asks if anything hazardous is being shipped(remember these are $6 and hour employees and don't know their own rules), hand them some money, smile and walk out.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Richbug, I guess that explains why Kinko's only charges "list price" when I ship FEDEX. When I shipped UPS from my "UPS Store", they charged over double the "list price".

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's what happened. I shipped from the Fedex store. Those meanieS![:D]

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found some ok and some not. I always go directly to the UPS terminal anyway. I don't have much use for UPS, but they do ship ammo.
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richbug
    ammo is not shipped haz-mat, but ORM-D. Must go by ground, either FEDEX, or ups. No extra charges involved.

ORM-D is hazardous material. It just has marking, labeling, and shipping paper exceptions from DOT. That is one reason that hazmat fees are not usually charged.