In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Shoulder Holster suggestion

corewarecoreware Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am in the market for a 1911 shoulder holster (specifically the AMT Hardballer 5 inch barrel). There are so many different ones, many costing over 100 dollars.

I am looking for one that fits well under a jacket and draws/fits well. I am open to any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several and the only observations I can make it to try them if you can and that the synthetics such as nylon do not break in so if it is uncomfortable to begin with, it will never feel comfortable.

I tried Uncle Mikes and Bianchi in nylon and always went back to the leather. I use a leather Bianchi

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Galco

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes indeed , buy a name brand quality unit , stay far away from the elcheapo stuff !!! just speaking from apx. 25 yaers of 'carrying' !!!
    by the way , consider a good gun and dump the AMT (junk!).......
    Good Luck !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

My dog is the best person I know...
    If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

I love guns & Shooting!
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are carrying for protection I would strongly advise your re-thinking the AMT. They are legendary for malfunctioning at the wrong time. I have heard of people that say theirs have never given them problems but I personally have never seen one that didn't occassionaly burp under stress. They can be made reliable but its takes a lot of patience and a good 1911 man to get them there. I don't know anything about shoulder holsters though as I never owned one. I carry middle of back or slightly on back of hip myself. If I'm going to be in a car I reach for a angled crossdraw holster.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Have used a Galco for a full size Glock 21 before and it is pretty comfortable...so Galco would be my vote. Gun on one side and carrier for two magazines on the other side.

NRA Life Member
    DE & PA CCW Permit Holder
    All around gun lover...
  • Options
    Shooter MedicShooter Medic Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I might not have 25 years of packing, only 18 so far, but most have been with a 1911 and I work for an agency now that deep concealment is the major factor in carrying. So I'll throw in my comments (ahhhh we all know what opinions are right?).

Unless your thick chested, worry about a 1911 5" in a horizontal rig (ie the Galco (finest on the market). For vertical, Galco (again the finest) has a great rig that they make for the military units stuck with silly regs that has the offside ammo pouches which will conceal well unless again your thick chested.

I have them both and love them both, but expect to pay bucks for a good rig, its worth it.

On the weapon question, I cant agree more with the comments posted. I to once owned a AMT, but when it didnt do what it needed to do when I need it BADLY, it went bye-bye and was replaced with a Kimber.

Hope it helps and again just my opinion.

Steve T.
    FED (use to be an HONEST cop once but I took the money).
  • Options
    KK Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAVE TO ASK.....WHY a shoulder rig???? Being the paranoid that I am (TOO dam many years of CC). I still vote for a small of the back in the pants rig. VERY nice and cumfy, easy to conceal (big shirt will do it) and I can get to it with either hand.
    As for my carry...I still love my ole Colt 70 Govt...AMTS are neat....until you need them most.

Hope this helps!

If you have enjoyed this half as much as I, then I have enjoyed this twice as much as you!
  • Options
    corewarecoreware Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:HAVE TO ASK.....WHY a shoulder rig???? Being the paranoid that I am (TOO dam many years of CC). I still vote for a small of the back in the pants rig. VERY nice and cumfy, easy to conceal (big shirt will do it) and I can get to it with either hand.
    As for my carry...I still love my ole Colt 70 Govt...AMTS are neat....until you need them most.

Just for looks/hell of it. I don't plan to carry this concealed really. A good shoulder harness can fit many guns, so figured I'd ask what the best one is. The AMT was an example of the kind of specifications I'd need.

I'm paranoid too. I just walk around with a Taurus .38 hammerless snub nose in my pocket. Simple, effective, and as reliable as possible.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good Galco rig. Although I am hesitant to buy a rig as good as that unless I had multiple guns that would work in it. (This just means I'll hold off until later to buy it.)
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at te Bianchi agent model. When i worked in a gun store i used one for my Browning Hp and found it comfortable and fit the weapon very well.