In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

unknown Mauser

jemerrilljemerrill Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I recently inherited an 8mm Mauser with the following markings: top of receiver has a large "s". Below that is a crown, below that is the word Erfurt. Below that is the number 1893. Serial number is 2737 and appears on all parts. Side of receiver has letters I don't understand but resembly Tax 88 with the initials n.m. below that. Has a peep sight (looks original) dovetailed into the rear of the bolt. Measures 18 3/4" from rear of large barrel ring to end of barrel. It has the original stock which, unfortunately has been sporterized. Came with 4 magazine clips and what appears to be a sub-caliber device in a cloth bag. It's in very good condition. Shoots well. What have I got here? Is it worth anything as a trade? thanks for your help. Jack

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello "ERFURT" was the german government arsenal sort of like SPRINGFIELD was to the USA they made Mauser type rifles for german military . All matching numbers is great but sportized is negative to value of course. The sub caliber device might be worth more then the rifle.Pictures of rifle and this device would be a big help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Perry Shooter. I will research and see if I can post pix of rifle and sub-cal device.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Mausers are probably the most available Milsurps there are, both complete and parts wise. With a little searching you could probably restore it to original condition if you wanted to.

Extremism in persuit of Freedom is no vice.
  • Options
    South40South40 Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on your description, it looks like you have a GEW 88, not a Mauser. See: http://www.thedonovan.com/archives/000578.html

S40
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    South got it right about the Kar 88. With the barrel at 18 inches, I would also expect it to have a spoon bolt grasping handle instead of the Gew 88 type round grasping knob.
    With the non original peep sight, I would also imagine that the .22 conversion unit DOES fit. I have never see a subcaliber unit for the 88's (especially a Karbine 88) but anything is possible. What are the proof marks on the subcaliber unit?
    The 1893 you see is the year it was made by the way. The large "S" signifies that it was modified to accept the .323 diameter 8mm bullet from the previously standard .318.

You have a very interesting piece. Pictures of the proofs and one overall would be killer!

wings2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It doesn't look like the GEW 88 that appears in thedonovan.com website, South40..It also has a spoon bolt, P3Skyking. Sub-caliber device is a steel mockup of the 8mm cartridge down to the shoulder. It has a firing pin in it. I don't know what caliber round it would take. I very much appreciate all of your input. You guys are very helpful. I will take pix of the proof marks, overall rifle and sub-cal device, but will need some help as to how to post them on this thread. Can't find the guidance here on the website. Help!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I finally found a picture of the Kar 88 on the web. This is what your weapon looked like originally. Mine was made at Steyr in 1892.
    Another auction site has a sporter Kar 88 for sale at $500 but without the subcaliber unit.
    Personally I would love to find one of those (subcaliber unit) myself. I am very interested to know if it's a one of a kind or they were produced in quanity.
    If you can get pictures posted, we could evaluate if it could be put back original, however with the additional unit fitted to it, it may be more valuable like it is IF the conversion (peepsight) was done at the bequest of the German government.
    Your weapon gets more interesting....

wings2.gif

Duh! I guess it would help if I posted the addy to the photograph!

http://www.wartreasure.com/data/inspect.asp?Item=131&Filter=German+Militaria
  • Options
    edited November -1
    P3skyking: I believe the peepsight is original, only because there is no evidence that there was ever a rear sight on the barrell. I will take pix this weekend, and do my best to find a place to park them on the web so you can see the rifle. Sub-cal device consists only of an adapter shell dummy of an 8mm round. No barrell insert.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay on the subcaliber unit. I understand now what you have. I wrongly assumed you had an insert liner for the barrel. The cartridge style unit is one of two things:

A self-contained unit designed for use in any 8X57 rifle. It contains an offset firing pin, chamber, and tiny barrel for the .22 caliber cartridge.
    OR

An adapter unit for some other cartridge (like the .32 ACP) that can utilize the original barrel of the 8mm rifle. These are more common and still available new even now. Either way, excitement level on the subcaliber unit has receded about 95%.

The original Kar 88 had a barrel shroud (tube) surrounding the barrel like it's bigger brother. This was done as contemporary thinking was the air temperature needed to remain constant around the barrel to give consistent accuracy. This was later found to be untrue and gunsmiths dispenced with it during sporterizing. Without the shround in place, you will see no evidence of a rear sight.

wings2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    p3skyking: I'm sending a link (I hope) to the photos of the mauser with the peepsight and butchered stock in hopes you may tell me what I've got. Look forward to any info you may be able to provide. Ammo clips and sub-cal device also pictured.
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jemerrill/album?.dir=948a&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sporterized '88 Mauser.
    Aftermarket bolt peep sights were available for a number of bolt action rifles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was a real nice Kar 88. About 5 years ago, I had all the parts to put it back to original shape. The hole for the tang sight disfigured the receiver. 'Fraid there's not a whole hell of lot of good news other than you have a fine little trail gun there. The barrel shroud is gone, you may see the threads for it on the forward edge of the receiver. The stock would have to be replaced and finding an original, like all the other parts would be extremely hard, but not impossible.

The subcaliber adapter is unlike any I've ever seen. I have no idea of it's origin.

I would still put it's value somewhere around $300 just as a unique shooter. Some reenactor may want to restore it, or as a filler in a collection, so it has value there too. The bolt is the single most valuable piece on there now. Around a hundred bucks by itself.

Gotta get this on before the thread gets locked. Best,
    Mike

wings2.gif