In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 70 pre 64 Carbine

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
Was the pre 64 Win 70 carbine offered with the option of not having the milled front sight ramp?

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you asking if Winchester made a Model 70 Carbine with no front sight?

If so, it is extremely unlikely. To the best of my knowledge, only the post-war Standard grade and Varmint grade rifles were offered in a "sightless" configuration.
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    The Model 70 Carbine was discontinued in 1946. All Model 70s through that time had "integral" front sight ramps (forged with the barrel). Soldering of front sight ramps on other Mod 70s started in the early 50's. I dont believe there was an option to preclude it on pre-war rifles. The pre-war rifles were not drilled for scopes nor was the pre-war safety very scope friendly.
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was refering to GB auction 354381609, Win 70 22 hornet
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I really doubt that a special order 22" no front sight model 70 would still have the rear sight band & dovetail on the barrel. Although the crown looks original in the auction picture, the muzzle diameter looks too big. My bet is that the barrel is cut, recrowned & reblued. Also, looks like an aluminum featherweight floorplate. Buttplate fits very poorly. Wood color just doesn't look right. Sling studs wrong.

I wouldn't consider this rifle as anything more than parts.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto to what MG1890 stated.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    1 more of that opinion.
    W.D.