In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

T/C Encore .25-06 reloading suggestions

bogen74bogen74 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a Thompson Center Encore with a 26" heavy barrel chambered in .25-06. I have always heard that this is an accurate caliber but, I have been having trouble getting good results from handloading. My groups are measuring between 2-4" at 100yds. I have tried Varget, H4831SC, RE-22, and IMR 4320. Does anyone have an accurate load that they like in this rifle? I would like to use a 117 or 120 grain bullet for Whitetail Deer and 75gr Hornady V-max for predators/varmints. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• wfkwfk Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bogen74:

I have had excellent result with 120gr Hornady spire HP with 48.5gr of 4350 in a Ruger 1B, Howa 1500, and Interarms Mark X, all 25-06. Might just give a try and see if it works for you.

Walt
  • ACJ49ACJ49 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I USE 100 GR SIERRA GAME KING BOAT TAIL SPITZER OVER 53GR. AA4350. DROPPED MANY ANTELOPE AS FAR OUT AS 500 YARDS. MY RUGER PLACES 3 SHOT GROUPS UNDER AN INCH AT 200 YARDS. THIS LOAD WILL WORK FOR VARMENT AS WELL AS DEER.
  • 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good luck with 48 Grains H4350 under a Nosler Ballistic Tip 100 Grain with Win LR Primer; although not the three shots in an inch at 200 yards that ACJ49 says he gets with his load. Load aside, have you had good accuracy with this Encore with other barrels? The issue I have with my Encores is the trigger more than the specific load. While not a bad trigger, it sure doesn't match my Sakos, Sauer 202, or even the Remington Sendero. If you can shoot MOA and better with other barrels with your Encore, you should be able to do as well with the 25-06.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need look no further than IMR 4831 and a 100 grain bullet. Plenty of data on the Hodgdon site.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When seating bullets I like to seat half way then lower the ram, rotate the case 180, then finish seating the bullet. How far off the lands are you seating the bullets? Are you neck sizing? Have you tried different primers and different charges? What brass are you working with? Is it trimmed to the same length, flash hole uniformed?
    Scope mounts and base tight? Shooter's Choice and JB Bore paste are good stuff. Use a hand lens and inspect the crown.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been reloading 25-06 for many years. If you want accuracy, you must try IMR 4350 with the 117-120 grs. I was able to shrink my groups substantially.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bogan74,

Have you shot this or any other Encore before with better than average results?

Encores, like many of the Thompson Center products, have awful triggers as mentioned above. Beyond this, the shooting techniques applied to a break-action single shot vary greatly. Sometimes it's a matter of where the rifle is rested and on what. Others find that fitting the forearm and a spacer to the barrel attachment point improves the average accuracy. There is also an 'accurizer' available which is added the the forearm and barrel. I would check with a stockmaker familiar with these rifles and handguns to see if they can offer some assistance.

I have sent some other information by e-mail.

Best.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To piggyback a bit, the item mentioned is a "forend hangar bar" and it isolates the wood from the barrel, so to speak. Accomplishes what Winchester did with the forend of their 1885 single shot rifles.

http://www.strattoncustom.com/Forend-Hanger-Bars-Encore-Factory-.2-ER810-2-Post-hvy-rifle-barrel-.810-muzzle-dia.html

Having one fitted will require a different forend, or a modification to your present forend. Some of my rifles/pistols have them and all show excellent accuracy. To be honest though, I haven't done a "before & after" test. I would say at the least, it can't hurt.

I have a 25.06 T/C Encore pistol and have best results with the 75 grain VMax. I have a group of 25.06 rifles and for whatever reason finding the right load for each has always been a challenge.

Regarding the Encore trigger, it can be made much better with a switchout of trigger return springs. You may want to check out "Specialty Pistols" website and google "Mike Bellm Encore rifle" for trigger and accuracy info.