In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best 45 ACP Self Defense ammo?

Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
I would like the opinions of the experts here on what their opinions are on what 45 ACP ammo they believe to be the best for self-defense.

Comments

• Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    im a big believer in ranger sxt's. i used to carry hydra shoks and i still like them, but the balistic performance of the sxt's impresses me more, so thats what i carry. YMMV...
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    After reading a Cororner*s report
    of gun shot wounds.
    I think hardball is right up there.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just last week I participated in my second Winchester ammo demo in the past 2 years. The SXT round is a devastating performer in .45, .40, and 9mm+P+.

(This is basically the "black talon" bullet, and man does it work.)

I am also impressed with the Hornady Critical Defense/Critical Duty loads. I saw some informal testing side by side with the Winchester rounds at the first demo I participated in. I will be at a Hornady demo in September for some first-hand looks of their entire line.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ammo that functions 100% in your pistol and you can shoot a good group with. You can practice with most any ammo but after I find my load I generally only shoot that at all ranges and targets.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I'm with KEV and RIO on the SXT ammo [^]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can tell you that the SXT's, Hydra-shocks and just plain HP's will work better than the old Mil-surp "Ball" ammo that I used so much of.

"Ball" works, but takes the better part of a magazine to work. When defending your life, anything that is better (and runs through your gun) should be used![;)]

I wouldn't split hairs on "how good" a bullet works. If it works and runs through your gun stick with it. If it works better than the basic (ball), and still runs through your gun, by golly, you really better stick with it!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check "You Tube", there have been a number of videos showing the Hornady Critical Defense being shot into denim covered ballistic gelatin.

Made a believer out of me. I specially like the rounded hollow point that is covered with the red plastic plug. I have had feeding problems with blunt nose H-P's in the past.

After I ran some through my Glock for function testing, I was sold.
  • Options
    Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Corbon, if you can find and afford it.[:(!]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with some of the other poster's, that you need it to function 100% in your gun first. I like the Speer 200 grain Gold Dot Hollowpoint's. They give me the best groups over all, in all 6 of my 45's, that I use. I second the SXT, and use them exclusively in the 10mm auto's.

Just so you know, and this is not a shot at sandwarrior, the old hardball, has worked succesfully as it was designed to, for over 100 years.

Best
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    just my opinion but "and you can shoot a good group with" should be WAY down on the list.
    #1 should be reliability
    #2 should be terminal preformance (Hornady c.d. or flrex tip or fed. hydro shock would be my choice).
    #3 availablity
    #4 YOUR ability to shoot/handle the gun/ammo combo.
    most self defence shootings are at 7 yards or less, grouping doesn't matter much. Like my ccw instructor said " the reason to use h.p./soft point ammo is to reduce the risk of hitting someone because of the bullet exiting the target."