In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Leupold Mark AR vs Leupold VX-R Patrol

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
Just wondering if the VX-R is worth the extra $170+ over the Mark AR. Both can be had with the Firedot SPR reticle (AR is green..VXR is red), the VXR has 30mm tube as opposed to the 1" on the Mark AR. I kind of like the green firedot better. Looking at the 1-4x models...so is the 30mm realy going to let that much more light in with a 20mm objective?

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you are on the right track with the lit aim dot and the 1X-4X. On CQB you can sight with both eyes open and the aim dot on, way back when, I did this on mine using a Nikko "Nighteater" 1.5X - 5X and felt very comfortable with it. The green option wasn't available back then, so I can't offer an opinion based on use. It may come down to which you prefer. The 30mm does offer a wider field of view and better light gathering, but Leupold uses such good optics I don't know if you will notice - the one inch is about a 26mm.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    Just wondering if the VX-R is worth the extra $170+ over the Mark AR. Both can be had with the Firedot SPR reticle (AR is green..VXR is red), the VXR has 30mm tube as opposed to the 1" on the Mark AR. I kind of like the green firedot better. Looking at the 1-4x models...so is the 30mm realy going to let that much more light in with a 20mm objective?

No. I would go with the Mark AR. With the $170.00 you can buy a nice throw lever quick release mount.

6106_zpsa469926d.jpg
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    In the older Mark 4 M1 10x the 30 mm tube also enabled more adjustment for elevation and windage, so it could be used to avoid Kentucky windage at long range.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went with the AR, but I don't work nights and have 300 plus days of sun per year.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes, the illuminated reticle/aiming points, in magnified glass, are over rated. If they are not easily adjustable for the intensity, they can target blind you. That is, make you loose your target, in low light conditions. That is the one downfall of my NightForce scopes, I like so well.

Another thing I will tell you, is that if you are going to have several scoped rifles, stick with one operating system...either the MOA adjustment, or M-Rad adjustment. That is if, you plan on adjusting for range compensation. Kind of like computers...either go with MicroSoft Windows, or the Apple system...for everything.

That said, for your money, Vs.the quality of what you are getting, you might want to look at the Vortex Viper series, or the Viper PST series.

If your only two choices are the ones you listed, go with the one you like the best. I am betting the extra $170.00 is going into the 30mm tube, and the green diode, with not much if any going toward the repeatability of adjustment.

Best
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The VX-R is another grade of scope.
    mark ar is fine, but the VX-R has substainally better glass and a modern auto shut off illumination system

Even if it didnt have the illumination, id pay the difference.
    and yes, I have used the vx-II 1-4, vxIII 1.5-5, VX-r and the mark ar
    (owned all except the mark ar which i have used a couple times)
    the vx-r is the best for the money
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303
    The VX-R is another grade of scope.
    mark ar is fine, but the VX-R has substainally better glass and a modern auto shut off illumination system

Even if it didnt have the illumination, id pay the difference.
    and yes, I have used the vx-II 1-4, vxIII 1.5-5, VX-r and the mark ar
    (owned all except the mark ar which i have used a couple times)
    the vx-r is the best for the money

The Mark AR has the auto shut off/ motion on as well