In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shipping gun parts to France

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
Can you ship gun parts such as a pistol barrel to France?? Somone told me you may need a special licence, I thought this was prohibited. This this correct? Thanks

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends.

Under the Arms Export Control Act, the US Dept of State determines what guns, gun parts, optics, computers, & a lot of other things can be exported, & to which countries. The list of prohibited items/countries is large, & changes weekly.

You can take your chances & ship your barrel to France without declaring what it is; the worst that can happen is that you will have to serve 2 years in federal prison. Personally, I wouldn't do that, as I hate prison food.

There are 2 ways to do it legally & without risking prison:
    1) Tell the person in France to get a US agent; that is an FFL with an exporter license, who will broker the transaction.
    2) Write to the Dept of State & request an export permit; they will either give you one, or tell you in writing that you don't need one.

Neal
  • Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, not worth the risk even for a friend.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    . . .You can take your chances & ship your barrel to France without declaring what it is . . .

How can you do that?? Any package sent out of the U.S. has to have a Customs Declaration describing the item, it's weight, and value.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    . . .You can take your chances & ship your barrel to France without declaring what it is . . .

How can you do that?? Any package sent out of the U.S. has to have a Customs Declaration describing the item, it's weight, and value.

I declared what it actually was; Compression Tube. A barrel is something oil comes in, it wasn't that.[;)]