In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How to inlay a medallion into Hi Power Grips

45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
So I bought some Herrett checkered Cocobolo grips for my Hi Power. I also saw the Browning medallions from the buckmark at Midway for 2.99 and thought they would look good on the HP grips.

I am thinking of clamping the two together, and drilling a small hole as a pilot to make sure they are symmetric. Then getting a forstner bit that is the size of the medallions, putting it in a drill press and using the the pilot hole to align the tip of the forstner bit.

If I were doing this on a smooth surface, I would tape it to protect the edge of the hole. I'm not sure what to do on a checkered surface. I don't want to break off the diamonds or mar an edge. High speed or low speed on the press?

Suggestions, thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Low speed and slow feed will be a good way to go.
    Let the bit nibble slowly on the checkering, you could also tape the surface to protect from breakout.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend used a mill to cut octagon barrel channels in maple muzzle loader stocks. Seems to me spindle speed was on the high side and feed was on slow side.

Might be worth a test run on that type of wood.

added Nice Work!
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    A friend used a mill to cut octagon barrel channels in maple muzzle loader stocks. Seems to me spindle speed was on the high side and feed was on slow side.

Might be worth a test run on that type of wood.

+1
    A center cut end mill will cut the cleanest blind hole.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to do that with S&W medalions I would chuck the bit in a hand turned thread cutting tap holder and make the cut slowly that way then even things out with small wood carving chisels.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't have a mill but only a drill press, a sharp bit, tape the surfaces, and a SLOW FEED is the answer.

Practice if you can on an old checkered grip a few times to make it work for you.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 45forme

I don't want to break off the diamonds or mar an edge. High speed or low speed on the press?

Suggestions, thoughts?
    Have done this before, hand turn your chuck with the bit in place several times, slowly working your way down through the checkering , this way you can "feel" the cutting and downward pressure. [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I did use the press, because I didn't have access to a mill. Nice and slow, clamped and taped. Worked out pretty well:

photo_zpsd8e73f79.jpg
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that does look nice.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 45forme
    Thanks for the input. I did use the press, because I didn't have access to a mill. Nice and slow, clamped and taped. Worked out pretty well:

photo_zpsd8e73f79.jpg

Who did the sight and safety work on your HP [?][?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is a Cylinder & Slide trigger, hammer and safety, but I don't know who did the work. I bought this recetly from an estate with the work already done (except the grips - it had the Hogue rubber finger groove grips). You can't tell from the pics but the blueing is outstanding and in perfect condition.

Update: Better Photo...

photo1_zpsef023652.jpg
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    did this years ago to revolver grips and inset gold plated coins...pilot gets both sides the same if there is no way to locate the spot...forstner bit the size of object and used high speed and VERY slow feed....pilot hole can be used to push inset out if it needs rotated...when correct position is determined then I used accura glass with the brown dye in the hole and lightly coated back of inset...push in tight and quickly wipe off any excess...