In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help with identifying a few rifles

DougDeBugDougDeBug Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
I'm cleaning out my gun closet and attempting to identify and document some older rifles. I am looking for a little history, what caliber, and purpose. I have found some details using Google and forum searches but having trouble with a few of them. I will try and post the images here using a link so let me know if I need to 'adjust my fire' if the links/images are not correct. I'm a complete novice to both firearms and HTML. I will be selling most of them here on GB so if you know a fair price range (ie $200-$400 depending on...)then that will be helpful. I understand that the pricing is very subjective and it's hard to tell just by looking at an image :)

This is the first one:
t1f9.jpg

Also, let me know if I should use this one thread to learn about all of them put one rifle in a separate thread.

Thank you!

DeBug

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    That's a Type 99 Arisaka. Hard to tell the symbol just aft of the serno, but it appears to be Kokura.
  • Options
    DougDeBugDougDeBug Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    That's a Type 99 Arisaka. Hard to tell the symbol just aft of the serno, but it appears to be Kokura.

Thank you!
    I Googled 'type 99 arisaka' and found this:
    http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html
    This gives me some more clues to research :)

DeBug
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Yep, Type 99 with ground "mum" without cleaning rod, dustcover and monopod and AA sights. Lots of these around.....you can visit the GB auctionside and see what they are bringing nowdays. Thanks for your question and look forward to seeing the other "closet" finds!
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DougDeBug
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

Thank you!
    I Googled 'type 99 arisaka' and found this:
    http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html
    This gives me some more clues to research :)

DeBug

You're on the right track with that website. Use it to determine Arsenal and Series. Series appears to be an early Mid War series.
    Check the numbers on bottom of bolt handle to see if bolt matches receiver. Should match last 3 of serial on receiver. Any other numbers on rifle should as well.
    In Arisaka collecting, matching numbers is key. Rifles are valued in this order. Of course ORIGINAL condition (which yours appears to be) is #1. After that.
    MUMed & Matching = most value.
    Ground Mum & matching = 2nd most value.
    After that mis-matched is mis-matched, regardless if MUM is present or not. Lowest value.
    The sling appears to be an original of the type usually used on trainer rifles. And as an original WW-2 Japanese sling, has considerable value in and of itself. Perhaps even equal to that of rifle if mis-matched.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for ammo for it I'm quite sure it's '7.7 Jap'. I think Norma makes them.