In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee Pattern 14 problem.

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
My son has a Lee pattern 14. Think 1917 Enfield in British 303. The bullets will not feed from the magazine into the chamber. It is binding up on the extractor on the bolt. Hard to describe but the rim is not sliding under the extractor peroperly. It is picking up from the magazine okay but as you push forward the binding occurs. He can insert one into the chamber and the bolt / extractor will engage and work perfectly. Cannot see anything out of whack but clearly not working. There was another guy at the range with a P14 and he was having the exact same problem. Common to them? Ideas on what to look for or how to proceed?

Thanks, Cary

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the bolt face side of the extractor, maybe it has a burr/rolled edge. What ammo are you using?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In controlled feed guns there has to be sufficient clearance between rear face of the extractor and front of bolt. So as the bolt is cycled forward into battery, the base of the cartridge is forced forward and and up. The rim slides between the two surfaces without binding.

Check the extractor for proper clearance between it and face of bolt. Possibly it has to be bent outward slightly for proper clearance.

Charlie also might be making a valid point. I believe the Brit military ammo has a tapered rim, whereas the commercial .303 ammo doesn't. This might be the root cause of your problem?

EDIT #1, This photo I got off the net, shows W W I British military ammo. With the tapered edge, I was referring to. Your P 14 might function OK, with it?

H-16.jpg
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem with new 'off shore' commercial ammo, the different rim form is the problem. you can modify your bolt. the smle's don't have this problem as they don't have a recessed bolt face.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possible there's crud built up in the T slot that engages on the extractor collar.
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you guys nailed it. Close examination of the extractor shows no burr or crud. Also does not appear to be bent. Fooling around with bolt and some empty cases shows that the rim is just too fat. He can look for mil surplus ammo or we can perhaps trm the rim with a lathe. Thanks to all for the help. You guys are great.

Cary
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or just thin the extractor hook?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richarda
    Or just thin the extractor hook?

This is the better choice in my opinion.