In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need Info On A S&W Model 37-2 Revolver

PauperPauper Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
I need some info on a revolver (a Smith & Wesson Model 37-2). This revolver appears to be an "airweight" and feels like one, but it is not marked as such on the barrel (or anywhere else). Is also appears to be stainless, not nickel as are most Model 37 airweight models. The serial number is BPS27XX.

I can't seem to find any info on this particular S&W 37-2 (or variation of that model that may have been produced).

I'd appreciate any info concerning this revolver that anyone could give me.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 37-2 came out in 1990, the "Airweight" barrel marking was dropped in 1993, which dates yours pretty closely.
    I don't see the BPS serial number prefix in the SCSW, though.
    I can't help on the finish, maybe it is satin nickel instead of the usual bright nickel on Airweight guns.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cut and pasted
    From the 3rd Edition S&W Catalog...

37-2 (1990): New sight width on frame and barrel to 1/8" from 1/10"
    37-2 (1992): Introduce flat matte blue and satin nickel finish
    37-2 (1993): Delete "Airweight" marking on barrel
    37-2 (1994): Laser inscribe Airweight on sideplate, Uncle Mikes grips, change extractor/slight contour to thumbpiece.
    37-2 (1996): Nickel finish deleted
  • Options
    PauperPauper Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    The 37-2 came out in 1990, the "Airweight" barrel marking was dropped in 1993, which dates yours pretty closely.
    I don't see the BPS serial number prefix in the SCSW, though.
    I can't help on the finish, maybe it is satin nickel instead of the usual bright nickel on Airweight guns.

Thanks for the info. I can't find anything on that particular type serial number either.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk is correct. It should have the satin nickel finish. Actually, the frame is anodized aluminum alloy, & the barrel & cylinder are matte finish carbon steel that has been nickel plated. When they introduced the M637, they went to stainless steel for the barrel & cylinder.

Neal
  • Options
    badsbsnf81badsbsnf81 Member Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    If you call S&W they will tell you when it shipped. Sometimes they sit for a long while before going out. You can also letter it for $50 if you feel the need.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W nickel plated the frames on their nickel guns.
    They anodized the frames on blued guns.