In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Encore Rifle Barrel

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
It's time to buy another Encore rifle barrel. I'm not sure of what to get but have some guidelines.

I'd like a 30 caliber for accurate paper punching at 100 yds, maybe 250 yds once in a while. I'd like to go easy on recoil and shoot primarily 110 to 147 grain bullets in the 2800 to 2400 fps range. The barrel will be 26" bull profile, no brake. I reload & would like to keep powder consumption about 30 grains per round.

I have all sorts of oddball cartridges and don't mind a little effort on this one.

Thus far I've poked around looking at the 30 BR and the 30 AR. I don't know much of either, getting brass seems like a challenge. I've also considered the plain old 7.62X39 but using a .308 diameter bullet.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might consider one of the 6.5 cartridges. Accurate, easy shooting, don't know about the powder requirements? Probably less than .308 more than 7.62 X 39.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ^^
    I already have the 260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor, plenty of 6mm also. I'm set on getting something in a "light 30 caliber" although on review the X39 is too light - makes only about 2300 fps in about 125 grains. The 30 AR looks right, but when I see the term "unobtanium" 3 or 4 times with respect to brass it may not be for me. The 30 BR looks like it can be made from 6BR and is readily obtained.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Have you looked into the 300 AAC blackout [?] The velocity is less than the AR, but brass is easier to get [;)]
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about 762x39 ?

Before you wonder if I'm off my rocker, remember that the 6 PPC and 22 PPC cartridges use it for a parent case. And the CZs in that caliber shoot really well.

Of course, you'll either need the .311 barrel or reload only and use 308
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I already have a Remington SPS in 300 AAC - HS stock, 16.5" barrel with AAC brake & Nikon 5 to 16X scope. It's kind of what got me thinking about something with a little more zip. In AAC the 110 and 125s do only about 2300 fps. It's great fun to shoot, just makes a little "pop" when fired.

I have a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62X39 and it's very, very accurate at 100 yds. I bought it to use cheap ammo and not reload, but it's done so well that I reload for it. But again, the X39 is a little slow.

I realize these are not "target cartridges" but the ballistics that come close are 300 Savage, 7.5X54 French and 30/40 Krag. Even the 30 WCF posts pretty good numbers, as does the 308 Marlin Express. But it seems to me the 30 BR or 30 AR will post better groups than any of them.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    What do you think about a 300 Savage or plain old .308??
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my 7.62x39 Encore. It has a 16+" barrel and is sure compact to go deer hunting. No complaints on accuracy either but holding the little rifle still freehand is a challenge. Resting up against a tree she shoots better than me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man
    What do you think about a 300 Savage or plain old .308??

Well, I really like my old Savage 99 but the cartridge is a bit more than I'm looking for now. I settled on a 26", bull barrel from Match Grade Machine in 30.30 Ackley Improved.

I picked up dies and new brass. I have about 500 rounds of conventional 30.30 already loaded for a T/C pistol. Any tips on fireforming - can I use what I've already loaded?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stuff you have loaded, should be OK, but you might split some case necks.

For Fireforming, I usually seat the bullet out so it is touching the lands, and go with the smallest load of fast burning powder the recipe book calls for. That way it keeps your brass where it needs to be, and your pressures low.

Best
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rimmed case good choice. Shoot what you have to fire form.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ^
    Thanks, that coincides with what I've read. I'll do that regarding the new brass. My already loaded uses 3031, 4895 and is middle of the road.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    The stuff you have loaded, should be OK, but you might split some case necks.

For Fireforming, I usually seat the bullet out so it is touching the lands, and go with the smallest load of fast burning powder the recipe book calls for. That way it keeps your brass where it needs to be, and your pressures low.

Best

I disagree with you here, tsr, no disrespect intended to a seasoned reloader such as yourself; when fireforming to AI, the PRIMARY goal is to blow out that shoulder to the 40* Ackley shoulder, so to that end you must insure that you create enough pressure to do this, normally by using a fairly STOUT parent-case load.....JMHO