In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Using mini shotgun shells ?

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
I see sellers at gunshows selling those mini shotgun shells.Do they work in pump shotguns ? I have a Winchester model 12 in 12 gauge and wondered if they will feed thru it ? Thank's in advance.

EvilDr235

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they feed you will be a very lucky shotgunner. One of my buddies bought a bunch of those years ago to use I competition. His theory was that if he could load more shells he could run an entire stage without reloading. Many shells ended up flipping once released from the mag tube for chambering and jammed up the gun.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember reading once (and can't for the life of me remember where) that one of the only shotguns that will semi-reliably run those short shells is the Winchester 1200/1300.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the follower, lifter, and shell stop.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never see them anymore at the shows. At one I consider cutting down a loading set to make them but then I heard they don't function so well.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The lengths of shot shells are an old hold-over from years gone by.
    Today you can load just as heavy in a 2" or even shorter case.
    Seems to me, the first manufacturer to bring out a "defense" style gun with the capability to hold and function 14 short rounds or such, in a normal tube would have the world beating a path to the sales counter.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a Russian shotgun designed around the mini shells. But for most they do not feed reliably.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cabelas sells them. They are made by Herters. Mini Buckshot 2 1/4". Not for use in semi autos is all it says not to use them in.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn you could load a double tube Kel-Tec with 30 rounds. Load it once and finish out the zombie walk about [:D].
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    I remember reading once (and can't for the life of me remember where) that one of the only shotguns that will semi-reliably run those short shells is the Winchester 1200/1300.

I read or saw this somewhere too! The Winchester 1300 is suppose to feed these well, other shotguns have jams and the shells flip inside the receiver.