In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Belgian Browning Grade

jta2511jta2511 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
Question about a 1955 Belgium Browning 12 Ga. superposed. Understand there were 5 grades. Would like to know what I'm looking at. Read that the engraving was, in part, a determining factor. The receiver has some significant engraving so I've ruled out the plain Grade I. Thought the grade was stamped on the receiver frame but don't see it even after removing the barrel(s). So where is the roman numeral I'm looking for? Any other tell-tale signs? Thanks much!

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will take pictures.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2511- go to the Browning web site and hunt around for a listing of serial #'s. You should get some info there and I think you'll find a phone #. Call it and ask 'em.

The last one I checked turned out to have no information in this country because it had been bought in Scotland. In spite of that the Browning factory rep was able to find my info while I waited.Incidentally, all of the Superposed guns have a considerable amount of engraving but no gold inlays in the lower grades.
    The early Citori's have very little engraving but later ones (say after 3 years or so after introduction) are engraved similarly to the Superposed's.

Cheers,

OleDuk
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Seems to me that the old Superposed weren't grades by number but by name. There were three grades, Field, the middle one I forget, and the top grade Midas had black background with gold inlays.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    PIGON Grade was one step up
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Blue Book they went from named to numbered grades after WW II and returned to the fine old names in 1960. Back to numbers with "P" after 1976.

Even the Grade I has some engraving, my Broadway Trap has pretty good coverage of scroll on blue.
    I think the Grades II - V had French Grey receivers with increasing engraving. I know the Pigeon, Pointer, and Diana grades of the 1960s did. The Grade VI or Midas is blue with gold inlay.
  • Options
    jta2511jta2511 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appreciate the feedback. Will explore the leads. Thanks.