In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MechTech vs KelTec

bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have experience with the MechTech carbine system and how it compares to the KelTec Sub 2000?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There completely different. The Mech Tech is a aftermarket non serialed numbered top end. It is attached to either a Glock or 1911 frame, to make a carbine length longun.

The KelTec is a folding pistol caliber carbine. That can use magazines from various different handguns.

The KelTec is much lighter, handier and compact, than the Mech Tech. The only advantage of the Mech Tech is that it is non serial numbered. I don't believe the feds or most states even consider it a firearm? It is also available in 10 mm & 45 ACP, which the Keltec isn't.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a MechTech in 1911 and use a friend's KelTec Sub 2000. I'm not a "plastic gun" fan and the KelTec is about as plastic as you can get. Still, the thing functions perfectly and accuracy was OK. The MechTech is much heavier and has (for me) a "real gun" feel to it.

Although not a gun on its own once assembled the MechTech, in CA and perhaps a few other AW ban states, becomes an assault weapon. So although it can be shipped direct, be certain that whatever you do with it complies with state law. In CA (for now) that means a non-detach magazine.

From what I read a MechTech in 10mm is quite the neat little set up, long barrel really takes advantage of the round. In 45 ACP it's a bit like running an 88 mm mortar whenever you go past 75 yds. Still manages "minute of soup can" accuracy though.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a MechTech upper on my Glock 20 lower. It is accurate, reliable and fun to shoot. I owned a Keltec Sub in the past and found it to be a poor design. You need to put a crick in your neck just to be able to see thru the sights!
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After you put the MechTech on your pistol frame, can you legally change it back to pistol configuration?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill DeShivs
    After you put the MechTech on your pistol frame, can you legally change it back to pistol configuration?

Sure, just remove the mechtech upper and put your Glock upper back on!
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I said "LEGALLY."
    What does BATF say about converting a rifle to a pistol?
    There have been problems with this in the past.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill,

You are absolutely correct on this one.

Even with the T/C Contender Carbine conversion. Unless it was originally sold as a Carbine Kit, it cannot legally be switched back to a pistol, once it has been changed to a rifle. The same goes for the Encore'.

I would believe this would also apply to ANY registered handgun frames, as well, per BATFE regulations.

I personally believe this is an infringement on the 2nd Ammendment, but that is another story.

Best
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Bill,

You are absolutely correct on this one.

Even with the T/C Contender Carbine conversion. Unless it was originally sold as a Carbine Kit, it cannot legally be switched back to a pistol, once it has been changed to a rifle. The same goes for the Encore'.

I would believe this would also apply to ANY registered handgun frames, as well, per BATFE regulations.

I personally believe this is an infringement on the 2nd Ammendment, but that is another story.

Best

I thought this was true too, but there is a relatively recent written advisory opinion from the BATFE that its perfectly "OK" to put a MecTec carbine conversion on your pistol then change it back to a pistol without running afoul of "SBR" rules.

You can see the written ruling here on the MechTech discussion forum site: http://www.mechtechsys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=431

This doesn't necessarily mean its legal to do this by STATE law. . .you'd have to check your individual State, but you won't get in trouble with the Feds just for having one of these.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill DeShivs
    I said "LEGALLY."
    What does BATF say about converting a rifle to a pistol?
    There have been problems with this in the past.

YES, YOU CAN LEGALLY TAKE YOUR MECH TECH UPPER OFF AND PUT YOUR GLOCK UPPER BACK ON, YOU ARE NOT MAKING A SHORT BARRELED RIFLE YOU ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL. I HAVE MY MECHTECH UPPER ON MY GLOCK FRAME AND WHEN I FEEL LIKE SHOOTING MY GLOCK, I TAKE THE UPPER OFF AND PUT THE GLOCK SLIDE AND BARREL BACK ON! WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL??? YOU ARE NOT COVERTING A RIFLE TO A PISTOL! JEEZ.
  • Options
    bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks dfletcher and cs8161. Just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I have a MechTech in 1911 and use a friend's KelTec Sub 2000. I'm not a "plastic gun" fan and the KelTec is about as plastic as you can get. Still, the thing functions perfectly and accuracy was OK. The MechTech is much heavier and has (for me) a "real gun" feel to it.

I have a MechTech upper on my Glock 20 lower. It is accurate, reliable and fun to shoot. I owned a Keltec Sub in the past and found it to be a poor design. You need to put a crick in your neck just to be able to see thru the sights!