In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stock repair

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
I need two perfect stock repairs: one on a percussion Sharps with split forend and the second on a Remington 25 pump forend.
Both had previous repairs with epoxy.
Any perfectionist stock repairmen out there?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I need a recommendation for someone who can do invisible repairs to cracked forarms and stocks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just received a Ruger #1 in my shop for a minor stock repair. There is a small 1" square patch that just has the finish scraped off. The wood is undamaged. Does anyone know what finish material Ruger used in the first few years of #1's?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    have a ithaca 37 ducks unlimited 40th ann. guy with a cracked butt stock. could i get some info names & numbers who repair stocks ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would anyone have an idea on how to fix a stock that has the rkw finish on it.The stock has several marks in the finish and I was woundering if there is some way to raise them or how to get them out. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any tips about how to make a hair line crack so that it cannot be seen? Started refinishing a stock and found a crack on the toe that had been repaired. Wet sanding with finish does not hide it. Thanks, Ken
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    If I understand the question correctly, the stocks have been split 1. partway through or 2. into two pieces; and the separation was repaired with epoxy, but the split was not closed tightly, so the epoxy is clearly visible. And by repair, you want someone to re=separate the split, clean out the old epoxy and then re-glue/epoxy the split back together so as not to show the split?
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those guys do nice work!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ray: Correct. The Sharps got some powder into the forend recess and partially split the forend when fired. An epoxy repair didn't work. It's been in two pieces for some years.
    The Remington slide forend has a visible repair but the crack is growing because the action is stiff.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'd be happy to take a look at the sharps fore-end and determine if I can put it back together properly. I can send photos of woodwork that I have done and if you're interested, I'd take no action on it until I'd cleared it with you.