In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

98 Mauser cartridge length Help please.

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
Bought a sporterized 98 mauser in 8mm today and was wondering what length cartridge would work in this action. I was thinking of converting it to 338-06 or 35 Whelen. How big a cartridge would work? Thanks in advance, Steve

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are so many different adaptations that the best advice is to measure the inside length of your mag box and check that length against the overall catridge length of the proposed ammo. That way you will know for sure what will or won't work. I have a couple of mausers the will handle 30/06 commercial soft point but not army ball.

Mobuck
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The action will handle most anything, but you need something that works out of the mag unless you want a single shot rifle... .35 Whelen would work fine, but I don't know about the .338 as I've never seen one.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    The easiest conversion would be 8mm-06, an improvement over '06. Better, which reqire re-barreling are the .338-06 and .35 Whelen.
    I made a .35 Whelen on a 1909 Argentine, a great combination.
    That's the best thing that can happen to the unexciting '06.
    IS