In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus PT-945?

E.WilliamsE.Williams Member Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
I am on the market for a handgun I plan to give my oldest survivig friend as a wedding present.I dont have a bunch of moey to drop but I can afford around $450.00.I want somethng that is reliable and accurate but that looks good too.I saw a PT-945 in stainless that I thought was a attractive pistol but dont know anything about Taurus or the PT-945.He is the kind of guy that will say he needs to get a gun to keep in the house but never will.So this will make the perfect gift.I plan on making some type of presentation box for it which is why I need something with looks as well as reliability.I dont want to give him something that will blow up or mis-feed should he need to protect his family.So my questions are as follows:How is the quality of manufacture of Taurus semi-autos?How is the reliability and accuracy of this pistol?Is Taurus of the larger firearms manufacturers?Any first hand experience with this pistol is what Im looking for or maybe you know a friend who has one.Reliability is my main concern.Thank you for an help.

Eric S. Williams

Comments

• Options
    E.WilliamsE.Williams Member Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also is the 230 grain hydrashok the best round for personal/home defense?

Eric S. Williams
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric your friend sounds lucky to have a friend like you.First less address the gun Tauras makes a high quality attractive,reliable firearm.Some will say it is junk,but I have a PT92 and a Pt940 and both have served me well.Also for the .45 the Federal230gr Hydra shok is a great defense load.

Good Luck.

Rugster
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a stainless PT-945. Bought it when they first came out for $280 (pretty good deal ehhh). It has performed well & is a quality gun. I experianced no jams or problems and have put about 5000 rounds through it so far. Accuracy is good out to about 50 yards. Good luck with your purchase I'm sure your friend will be pleased. Make sure you get him some instruction on firearms safety too. RG