In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

value of pre ba russian ak/47 and full auto thomp

treedawgtreedawg Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
i've located a pre ban russian ak/47 and full auto thompson 45. i can't seem to find much info on either in my blue book. i know that there are many versions of each type but this is all the info i have for know. i'm interested in buying the pair and would like a price range on both. they are both 95-98% guns.
thanks in advance
todd

Edited by - treedawg on 06/25/2002 22:35:52

Comments

• Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Thompson might be quite hard to price. The problem is that there was only about a total of 10,000 made from the beginning until 1941. Then production became very large during World War II. The early guns seem to command a premium. I saw one two months ago at a local Gun Show priced at $16,000.00. I also saw a World War II model gun for $12,500.00. Both were very nice guns, 95% plus! The AK I can't even guess about. This other info may be of some help.

If You Can't Buy a Pair, Get a Spare!
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Todd,

Is the "AK" a full auto too?

(I'm "nextdoor" in Charleston, SC) competentone@hotmail.com

Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    joe, the ak is semi-auto. the asking price on it is $600.00 which i suspect is a good price. the ak's a great gun, but ugly as sin in my eyes. i guess you can tell that i'm an ar-15 fan. i'll try and let ya know if i get the pair, if you're interested in getting together and letting a little lead fly. i think my mother is vacationing in charleston this week, but i'm not sure. she's hard to keep with since she retired.
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I've seen lately, $600 sounds like a hell of a deal for a pre-ban AK. Condition being fairly decent, of course. If it had a folding stock on it, Id jump on it in a heartbeat. It is my understanding that if it does not already have the folder, even though it is pre-ban, you can't LEGALLY add it. One of the experts please correct me if I am wrong.

-Marcus

****You'll find I'm full of surprises.-Luke Skywalker (The Empire Strikes Back)****
  • Options
    hobbisthobbist Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I know Russian pre ban AK 47, I mean Russian not any other AK 47 never imported into US. If somehow it happened, price for this gun will be few thousand dollars.
  • Options
    LIKTOSHOOTLIKTOSHOOT Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Russian????? $600.00??????? Preban????????? AK47????????

LTS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    did my eyes play a trick on me? when i looked at the gun i was holding a russian ak/47. is this a rarity? do they even exist, or do i need to have my eyes checked again? hell, the thompson could be a air-soft bb gun.

Edited by - treedawg on 06/27/2002 00:00:56
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We did not yet have trade relations with Russia prior to the ban of 1989. There are no pre-ban Russian AK's (at least semi-auto ones). Before someone brings it up, the 1994 had nothing to do with the AK's. Before 1989, there were Egyptian, Yugoslavian, Chinese, and Hungarian AK's, plus Valmet's and Galil's (both cousins to the AK). If you could provide further info, I may be able to tell you more about the AK in question. LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There are some Russian Class III AK47/74/and Krink`s here, but I have yet to see any semi-auto. $600.00 should tell the story fairly well, because if it was really a preban Russian AK semi-auto.....expect to start at $3,000.00 or more. LTS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i might need to give it a better look. just a thought, it may be full auto also. this almost makes sense with the full auto thompson in the group. the full auto thompson is only $2000.00 in mint condition. all these gun are legit, but priced very low. the new owner just wants tio get them out of her house as she got them in an estate settlement.

Edited by - treedawg on 06/27/2002 01:12:22
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Todd,

Find a Class 3 dealer, pay for the guns (assuming they can be legally transfered) and get them "out of her house" quick--it sounds like you may have stumbled on a really great deal.

Let the dealer hold them while you work out a resale to a third party, or legal transfer to yourself.

Of course, if she's a friend (or even a contact in a business situation), you could be a "nice guy" and help her get what they're worth. But sometimes, "being a little greedy" can be the simpliest overall policy.

Joe

Edited by - competentone on 06/27/2002 06:45:53
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Before you get excited about the price AND the find. You need to see the paperwork on these, without it or in the off chance they were never registered.....everyone`s out on this deal. Believe me when I say, there are a bunch of unregistered Class III`s out in the world. Most were bring backs and simply put away and forgotten, only to show up in estate sales after the death of the owner. Suggest you ask for paperwork before you go any further. If registered and the paperwork was lost over time, you can submit for it again....but this will entail giving BATF a call and giving a description and serial number of the rifles.....in the off chance they were not registered...expect a visit....toot-sweet. Good Luck, nice find. LTS