In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Father Passed Away - Guns Worth

StephSteph Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
My father passed away and I was wondering the worth on his collection:

-40-50's 16ga Ranger Sears Roebuck serial 105-**
-Remington 22 pump model 12 octagonal barrel serial 8045**
-Winchester 12 ga pump model 25 2-3/4 cham. serial 424**
-High Standard Derringer 22 cal model D-100 serial 1339***
-Browning 12ga semi-auto special steel 2-3/4, St-Louis MO, 28" barrel, side load, made in Belgium, numbers C12 492 behind trigger guard (serial # ???) and stamped symbols on barrel ex: 1k 132 u * N P.V LG 12.70, fancy designs on both left, right and under trigger guard. The safety slides up and down, locking the trigger from behind. Also, it has some kind of vented rib which is U shaped with small grooved line across the top.

All guns are in good to excellent shape and any help would greatly appreciated. THANKS !!!!

Steph from the land of gun laws GALORE!!!!!! ===> CANADA

Edited by - steph on 06/27/2002 09:37:43

Edited by - steph on 06/27/2002 13:46:48

Edited by - steph on 06/27/2002 15:05:45

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Ranger 16 Gauge 50 to 125.00
    Remington Mdl 12 .22 slide action 200 to 450
    Winchester mdl 25 12 ga. 150. to 400
    High Standard Derringer 175 to 250

Browning 12 ga. Depending on Grade
    Grade 1 250 to 600
    Location of Safety has some to do with it, if in front of trigger its not as desirable
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The quotes were in US Dollars. Current rate of exchange per 100.00 US to Canadian would be 151.57, 51 percent add on
  • Options
    bbq05bbq05 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Triple check that gauge and serial number on the Browning please.

I'm guessing the Browning may not a Browning. It is commonly know as an "American Browning". A-5 built by Remington with John M.'s permission during WWII while the Nazi were in Belgium. Nothing special unless really, truely mint. B.B. has them $495 @ 100% to $225 @ 60%. "C" in the serial number is the 20ga.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do you think its an A-5?

She describes it as loading from the side. (Hint, the model starts with a 'B').

We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson.Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    erictheredericthered Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some suggestions for you. Do NOT take these to a gun show or gun shop to sell because the dealers want to profit at least 100 to 200 dollars on a deal. They will even lie and use miserably nasty tactics to separate you from your stuff. They will tell you it has all kinds of faults and problems in order to demoralize you into a cheap sale.

Instead, there are three options to find out the value.

1. Call a gun shop and ask if they carry the thing, and how much they would ask for it when they get one in.

2. Ask a large shop that carrys a huge inventory if they would give you an idea of their worth, and that you have no intention of selling them. Its' a matter of insurance.

3. Look for the same weapons, in the same condition, on auction and see what they go for or went for in previous auctions.

If you want to get the worth out of them, sell on auction with good pictures of areas of interest on the rifle and complete descriptions of the condition of the thing. Auction will get you a better price than trying to sell any other way. Its' worth the effort. I will only sell rifles on auction myself.

If you want to trade, that is good to do at a gun show. But talk to the people walking around.
    Finally, I don't mean to make all dealers out to be thieves and jerks, but darn it most of them are. One table full of jerks laughed at my GI carbine I was carrying around and said they could pick up ones just like it for 100- 125. I countered by offering to buy all they could get me at 150. That shut them up.

I love a great deal myself, but I don't lie to people to get their
    items away from them. After being ripped off on several occasions by
    the jerks on the tables, I make it my job to warn folks walking around gun shows how to avoid getting ripped off.

Eric

thats'me
  • Options
    squeakycsqueakyc Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Canada and I think you estimates are high for the current situation in Canada. People are turning guns into the police every day because they don't have a possession license and are afraid to get caught with them. The other big price killer is that many gun owners are unloading most of their guns and just keeping the best for hunting or whatever and selling off the remainder. People just don't want the hassle of registration and the thought that big brother knows what you have in your home. With the amount of guns on the market and few people buying 40% of your estimates might be more in line. As for sending them to auction there are only a few gun auctions left and most regular auctions won't touch guns at all. The bottom has dropped out of the gun market in Canada thanks to our reigning Communist Government. As for selling them in the US, forget right now, too many hassles to get them over the border.
    I'm just letting you know the situation in Canada. I wish him luck getting a good dollar for them but don't be surprised at the offers you will get. I've got a bunch in my closet that friends and family have given me because they don't have a possession card. There are 22's 30.30's 12 gauge shotguns, single shots, pump, and bolt action all good working guns just can't sell them. When it hits 12 I will turn them into the police again. It won't be long until they start collecting them from the people who have registered their guns.
  • Options
    almagunsalmaguns Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jees, you sure are hard on dealers. I and most of the dealers I know do not missrepresent guns. We wouldn't stay in bussiness very long if we did. My target mark-up on used guns is 20% sometimes I do a little better most times a lot worse. I am not a wealthy man and if I wanted to be I would do something else for a living.
  • Options
    TheguncounterkidTheguncounterkid Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    amen almaguns!
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steph....You've received some excellent estimates from some knowledegable people and I wouldn't presume to dispute them. So, I will just offer some advice. If you are thinking of selling, DON'T.
    Hold on to those family heirlooms and pass them on to your children.
    Some may not be worth much, but they were your dads. Later on, you may regret losing them. Just my 4 cents.
    Good luck with your collection in Canada.
    muley

**I love the smell of Hoppes #9 in the morning**
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    It's always unfortunate to lose a family member. I know, I lost my son a few years ago. However, I think every gun owner should have list somewhere of the make, model, etc., of each firearm along with a
    value put on the firearm. I have three copies of this type of list,
    one in my safe, my daughter has one and my attorney has one. But
    my will also states that all firearms go to my grandson upon my
    demise.

A question for the gentleman from canada about the gun market falling
    off. You referred to a "possession permit". Does everyone have to have this permit to own a firearm in Canada.
  • Options
    StephSteph Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes,
    Everybody who owns a firearm must get a Possession license now. If you plan on buying a firearm, you need a Possession & Acquisition license. In order to get those, you have to take a course and pass a written and practical exam. Regular rifles fall in the category of non-restricted firearms, handguns are in the category of restricted firearms, which is another course and test altogether. Then, if you plan on buying a handgun, you need to belong to a licensed gun club, then acquire a trip permit from the gun store to your place and another trip permit to allow you to take your gun to a licensed shooting range.

And that's it............... :( Steph

quote:
    It's always unfortunate to lose a family member. I know, I lost my son a few years ago. However, I think every gun owner should have list somewhere of the make, model, etc., of each firearm along with a
    value put on the firearm. I have three copies of this type of list,
    one in my safe, my daughter has one and my attorney has one. But
    my will also states that all firearms go to my grandson upon my
    demise.

off. You referred to a "possession permit". Does everyone have to have this permit to own a firearm in Canada.
  • Options
    squeakycsqueakyc Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Hi BT99.............Our government has implemented a system in which to own a gun you need to have a possession card. This allows you to own guns but you can not buy them. The other card is Firearms License, which allows you to own, buy, or sell guns. You also must write an exam to get the licenses. Also by the end of this year all guns that you own must be registered with the government. It is a hassle to do anything with weapons in Canada. Many people with family heirlooms just turn them in or try to sell because they don't want to be bothered with all the paper work. This is mostly non-restricted weapons. The only guns you can buy and sell are pre 1898 weapons. Anybody can on a snider-enfield but a Model 94 Winchester 30.30 must be registered because it holds more than 1 shell and the ammunition is still available. It is a bloody nightmare.
    This doesn't even cover handguns and other restricted weapons. These take different certificates and tests and registration. It costs$$$$$$.
    This is just the tip of the iceberg. I hope it sheds a little light on why the price of guns have dropped off in recent years. Nobody wants them. Oh yea the average age of gun owners in Canada is around 55 years old.
    You also need a license to fish, hunt, use a chainsaw, drive a boat,
    any type of rec. vehicle, and on and on......What next a license to use a lawn mower.

They say we live in a democratic and free country. I just don't think so.

Regards

squeakyc from Communist Canada
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,252 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well,that High Standard is a little jewel. They aren't made anymore and they are the best derringer I have ever seen.

"Not as deep as a well, or as wide as a church door, but it is enough."